LL-L "Language varieties" 2010.03.29 (01) [EN]

Mon Mar 29 16:33:07 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 29 March 2010 - Volume 01*
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: jmtait <jmtait at wirhoose.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2010.03.26 (02) [EN]

 Mark wrote

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2010.03.26 (01) [DE]

Dear John, Andy, Sandy, All:

Subject: LL-L "Language varieties"

Enough of this talking & writing *about* the Sheltie Tongue. I want to hear
talk & read writing *in* Sheltie. You can do it on the list.

This the contribution of a would-be reader.

Yrs,
Mark

Well, first of all, the term 'Sheltie' isn't any more appropriate for the
tongue than it is for the people. I suspect that if you were in Shetland and
asked someone to talk in 'The Sheltie tongue' they might reply with neighs
and possibly barks!

I would find it quite difficult to write Shetland on Lowlands-L, as I'm the
only Shetlander on the list as far as I know. Sandy and Andy are mainland
Scots, and if they choose to write in Scots I will typically reply in Scots
- ie, mainland Scots rather than the Shetland variety - because although I
come from Shetland I live on mainland Scotland and speak that as well, and
it's much more natural to reply in the same language if you happen to be
familiar with it.

For writing from Shetland, you could always download my old website at
www.wirhoose.co.uk. Note, however, that the 'A Tait Wanchancie' section is
written in 'bog standard' mainland Scots, not the Shetland variety. (A good
way to tell is that, whereas mainland Scots uses 'th' at the beginning of
words, in Shetland this changes to 'd' or 't' - eg 'dan' for 'then', and
'dere' for 'there'.)

Also the online poetry collection I already posted is worth a look:

http://www.sdu.dk/~/media/3D088DF89C374550A6A3F423725ACCF4.ashx<http://www.sdu.dk/%7E/media/3D088DF89C374550A6A3F423725ACCF4.ashx>

And as I write, ShetlandForWirds have just created a new website here:

www.shetlanddialect.org.uk/index

also with audio files, which will doubtless increase. For more audio, there
are these links to Youtube:

Shetland Fudge Advert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_1lCZaPWHM

Cradle Song: