LL-L "Resources" 2010.05.13 (01) [EN]

Thu May 13 16:55:28 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 13 May 2010 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>

Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2010.05.12 (03) [EN]

> From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
>

> For some reason, a vision of Pete Murphy with a long black cape,
> entered my mind. Can get pretty chilly during those long flights ;=)

I can't imagine Pete Murphy in a long black cape.

Me? There's no telling what I'll wear next. Depends what I find :)

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/

----------

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>

Subject: LL-L Resources

I did some book shopping past week; and I think some of the stuff I found
may be interesting as resource for some members of the list.

1 - An van Diederen, Didier Volckaert, A dog of Flanders.

2010, Lannoo, ISBN 978-90-209-8858-1, 272 pp.

A book around: "Ouida, A dog of Flanders", 1872, London, Chapman.

It includes as well the English text, a translation into Dutch on opposite
pages, and a lot of study material around.

The novel is playing in and around Antwerp. It was never really known in
Flanders, but it became that popular in Japan, that a lot of kitchy anchor
points have been installed in Antwerp and Hoboken for satisfying Japanes
tourists.

It has been filmed many times in the US, but the end with Nello and his dog
Patrasche ending frozen to death in Antwerp cathedral had to be turned to a
more happy end for a US public.

Illustrations in many publications referred to, show people in Holland
traditional dresses, with Holland wind mills in the background.

I made some scans:

cover: http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/ll/dog1.jpg

contents: http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/ll/dog2.jpg

See also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Dog_Of_Flanders

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Een_hond_van_Vlaanderen

2 - Kees-Jan Waterman e.a., Indianenverhalen, De vroegste beschrijvingen van
Indianen langs de Hudsonrivier (1609-1680).

2009, Walburg Pers, ISBN 978-90-5730-626-6, 206 pp.

The texts are left in Dutch of the time. Although most of these texts are
also translated into English, quotes of the original indian vocabulary have
to be read with knowledge of sound and orthography of the Dutch langauage at
the time. And this certainly is a plus value for this edition.

kitchy cover: http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/ll/iv1.jpg

contents: http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/ll/iv2.jpg

http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/ll/iv3.jpg

A sample by van de Bogaert (Albany NY area) with some "Maquase spraeck"

http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/ll/iv98.jpg

btw Maquase = Mohawk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohawk_language

3 - An historical grammar of Dutch:

J.M. van den Horst, Geschiedenis van de Nederlandse Syntaxis

2008, Leuven, University Press, ISBN 978-90-5867-646-7

in 2 bound volumes:

- vol 1, 1062 pp.

- vol 2, pp 1063-2014

cover:

http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/ll/ns1.jpg

it is sliced into periods (VII books)

http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/ll/ns2.jpg

with a recurrend structure for each period, cf. the index:

http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/ll/ns3.jpg

http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/ll/ns4.jpg

"Historical Syntaxis" is used as title for distinguishing it from
"Historical lexicography".

4 - R. Foster e.a., "Over grenzen, een vergelijkende studie van Nederlandse,
Vlaamse en Afrikaanse poëzie - Oor Grense - 'n Vergelykende studie van
Nederlandse, Vlaamse en Afrikaanse poësie"

2009, Leuven, Acco, ISBN 978-90-334-7355-5, 426 pp.

A collection of study material by several authors.

I is not an anthology (but an anthology is apparently published in parallel
as "Grenzeloos/Grensloos").

cover: http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/ll/og1.jpg

contents: http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/ll/og2.jpg

http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/ll/og3.jpg

http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/ll/og4.jpg

5 - "Ons Erfdeel" started in the early fifties as a cultural organization at
the French border, with focus on French Flanders, but grew into an umbrella
cultural association for the Dutch language area, with focus on selling this
culture to France and to the world.

TLC "The Low Countries" is the yearbook for the English speaking public.
This year's edition (vol. 18) has its first 100 pages focussed on South
Africa.

cover: http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/ll/tlc1.jpg

contents: http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/ll/tlc2.jpg

http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/ll/tlc3.jpg

http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/ll/tlc4.jpg

http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/ll/tlc5.jpg

The core publication "Ons Erfdeel" (in Dutch) is published quarterly, the
most recent issue:

cover: http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/ll/oe1.jpg

contents: http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/ll/oe2.jpg

http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/ll/oe3.jpg

The website of the editor: http://www.onserfdeel.be/

6 - For English speaking people an interesting introduction my be the
publication "Newcomer" for expatriates in the Brussels area, dealing with
practical advices going from "How to adopt a child" up to "How to divorce in
Belgium".

Cover of the spring edition: http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/ll/nc1.jpg

contents: http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/ll/nc2.jpg

It has also some publicity of the free summaries in English of the Flemish
press:

http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/ll/nc4.jpg

This was set up since the Flemish experienced that international press
correspondents in Brussels are only able to read the local French press and
publish only French-biased versions in the international press.

About the language situation:

http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/ll/nc5.jpg

Not completely correct: the Flemish movement started 100 year earlier. In
the 1960s the administrative split of the country started indeed with
freezing the administrative language border.

For book shops:

http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/ll/nc6.jpg

I prefer the Waterstone's. A UK client card will also be valid in Belgium,
with the credits automatically changed from GBP in EUR (and vv when you want
to use the Belgian credits in the UK).

However UK books are significantly more expensive in Belgium than in the UK
and it is worthwile to visit the Picadilly Waterstone's when shopping in
London. Nowadays you easely get Eurostar tickets for 40 euro when you leave
in the early morning and about 60 euro when you return in the late evening
(that's what I paid in economy for my tickets next week for attending the
itec (http://www.itec.co.uk) fair).

For Dutch book shops in Brussels try the "Standaard Boekhandel" close to the
"Munt" theater downtown. The Fnac in the "City 2" shopping center also has
shelves with books in Dutch.

Regards,

Roger

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com