LL-L "Etymology" 2010.05.13 (03) [EN]

Thu May 13 20:54:49 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 13 May 2010 - Volume 03
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>

Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Beste Lowlanners,

dealing since yesterday with the "Lowlandic Facebook-Village" ;-) I found
out that it's hard for me to write halfway correct English in a chatting
manner. Here, on e-mail-traffic, I've got time to control, which I have not
on Facebook.

But - making mistakes is the best way to learn and, beyond that, to become
inspired once more to think about the interesting differences of the
Lowlandic languages.

One of those mistakes caused me to come across the English word
*"big".*Looking for any related words in Standard German or
German-bound Low Saxon:
I cannot find any of them. Except - perhaps- the Low Saxon "*Bick*", meaning
an extraordinary big '*pale*', a monstrous '*picket*' (ha - so far we
are!!). I'm pretty sure that *'Bick*' and '*picket*' are related, but to
draw a bow to *"big"* I don't dare.

Any ideas over there in the world?

Thanks in award for all answers!

Allerbest!