LL-L "Resources" 2010.05.19 (02) [EN]

Thu May 20 01:20:24 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 19 May 2010 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Subject: Resources

Dear Lowlanders,

Although it is not (yet) directly relevant to our Lowlands focus, I would
like to draw your attention to what I think is an online resource that I
like a great deal:

Isuma TV
http://www.isuma.tv/lo/en

It comes in Inuktitut (in Canadian Syllabary and in Roman script), English,
French and Spanish.

Its focus is on Inuit studies and news, but it offers material about other
“Indigenous” peoples as well. Under “Speaking Indigenous Languages” there
are videos in or about 40 “Indigenous” languages. (The reason why I use
quotation marks is because Ladino (Judeo-Castilian) is included.)

Isuma TV is a rich resource for anyone interested in “Indigenous” cultures,
languages, histories and current affairs. It offers a wealth of audio and
video files as well as photographs and articles. I like the concept very
much and can imagine it being applied to other topic areas, including ours.

This being a subsidized Canadian production, there is a clear emphasis on
Canada’s First Nations, in particular on Inuit communities. However, there
is information about other American communities as well, also about Siberian
(Khanty) and European (Sámi) ones (besides the mentioned Ladino -
http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/ladino-info.php).

The cherry on top consists of the availability of the “Fast Runner Trilogy"
(http://www.isuma.tv/lo/en/fastrunnertrilogy), three excellent,
prize-winning Inuktitut movies: *Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner* (2001), *The
Journals of Knud Rasmussen* (2006), and *Le jour avant le lendemain* (Before
Tomorrow, 2008, adapted from the novel *For morgendaggen* by Jørn Riel).

These movies were produced in Canada’s newest self-governing territory:
Nunavut (whose official languages are Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun, English and
French). This, in conjunction with the high quality of some of the posted
Greenlandic (Kalaallisut) videos, seems to point into the direction the
possibility that regained political self-determination can enhance the
survival chances of languages.

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>