LL-L "Etymology" 2010.11.10 (01) [EN]

Wed Nov 10 19:46:49 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 10 November 2010 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: burgdal32admin <burgdal32 at telenet.be>

Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.11.05 (02) [EN]

Dear Ron,

I found some other words for the bird in my idioticon.

French: cercelle

Western Flemish: smierlaande / smirlande / smieraande

Everything related with...

French: émérillon

German: Schmirl

Dutch: smerlijn

Flemish: smierl

Wich is a dove (pigeon) who is skinny and slender and has a white head and
neck, and brown wings.

Groetjes,

Luc Vanbrabant Oekene

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Dear Lowlanders,

Here’s a duck-related etymological matter for you to sink your teeth in.

There is a sort of duck that is called “wigeon” in English, also spelled
“widgeon.” It is also known as *Anas penelope* (or *Mareca penelope*), it’s
American version as *Anas americana*.

German: Pfeifente
Low Saxon: *Piepaant?
Dutch: smient (< *smijdeëend?)
West Frisian: smjunt
North Frisian: smen
French: canard siffleur
Catalan: ànec xiulador, piuló
Italian: fischione
Basque: ahate txistulari
Castilian (Spanish): (ánade ~ pato) silbón
Galician: asubiador
Cornish: whewer
Welsh: chwiw, chwiwell, chwiwiad, wiwell
Irish Gaelic: lacha rua, rualacha
Scottish Gaelic: glas-lach
Manx Gaelic: laagh ruy, thunnag veg feie
Faroese: ennigul ont
Icelandic: rauðhöfðaönd (“red-headed duck”)
Danish: pibeand
Norwegian: brunnakke, pipand
Swedish: bläsand
Finnish: haapana
Slovene: (navadna) žvižgavka
Croatian: (patka) zviždara
Polish: świstun
Slovak: kacica hvizdárka
Belarusian: качка-свіцьва
Russian: свиязь
Ukrainian: свищ
Bulgarian: фиш

As you can see, references to its characteristic whistling call abound.
References to its red or brown head or neck apply only to the Eurasian type.

I assumed that the word “wigeon” ~ “widgeon” goes back to a Norman word, but
apparently this is not correct:

Etymology Online:

... 1510s, perhaps from some variant of Fr. *vigeon*, which some trace to L.
*vipionem* (nom. *vipio*), "a kind of small crane," a Balearic word, perhaps
imitative. OED, however, finds all this "very dubious."

Any clues anyone?

By the way, wigeons are a kind of “dabbling duck.” They feed just below the
surface of the water (bobbing forward and under in shallow water so as to
feed off the bottom). Hence the use of “to dabble” in the sense of “to
undertake something superficially or without serious intent.”

Seattle, USA

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Thanks, Luc!

In the meantime I found the following:

WIDGEON, the name of a kind of duck. (F. - Teut.) “a *wigion*, bird, *
glaucea*;” Levins, ed. 1570. The suffix and form of the word shews that it
is certainly French; and it is clear that the E. word has preserved an older
form (presumably *wigeon** or *wingeon**) than can be found in French.
Littré gives the three forms *vigeon*, *vingeon*, *gingeon*, as names of the
‘whistling duck’ (*canard siffleur*). The variations of the initial letter,
which is either *v* or *g*, can only be accounted for by assuming an O.F.
initial *w*, as above, and this is confirmed, beyond all doubt, by the E.
form. *β.* And we can further assume that the O.F. word was of Teut. origin,
which is the case with nearly all words commencing with *w*. It is also
probably a Norman word, and of Scand. origin; probably from Dan.h or Swed. *
vinge*, a wing; cf. Norweg. *vingla*, to flutter, flap about.    ¶ I will
here note the curious O.F. *vengeron*, ‘a dace, or dare-fish,’ Cot. A
connection is just possible

[Walter W. Skeat, *An Etymological Dictionary of the English Language*,
Cambridge: Clarendon, 1881, p. 710]

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>