LL-L "Etymology" 2010.11.18 (01) [EN]

Fri Nov 19 01:44:30 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 18 November 2010 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.11.17 (01) [EN]

>From Heather Rendall   heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

re colwedereshull

Dear All who have replied

Many thanks for all your replies and apologies for not having got back
sooner - I have been laid low by a bad cold.

The estate whose accounts we were translating ( from the Latin - except for
place names in Middle English) lies on fairly flat ground - however at its
eastern end there is a long low ridge now known as Sailor's Bank. Its slope
does face north - so it could well be a "cold weather hill"

However the main farming at the time seems to have centred on both cattle
and sheep, so there is still a possibility that it refers to 'wethers' i.e.
hill where the wethers graze

re my suggestion that the Col might also mean hill - see Ekwall in ODEPN
under Coleshill where he mentions an unrecorded OE coll = hill corresponding
to ON 'kollr' = head, top, hill MLG (Platt!) Kol/kolle = head

We still have one whole side of the folio to translate. If masses of
'weders' turn up, then we'll go with them. If not, then a north facing slope
does it for me!

thanks again.

Heather

Worcester UK