LL-L "Grammar" 2010.11.30 (04) [EN]

Tue Nov 30 21:58:00 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 30 November 2010 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>

Subject: LL-L "Grammar"

Beste Lowlanders,

"Ginder" is frequently used in the South ("ginds" being the Northern
variant):

* in my neck of the woods, "Van Ginderachter" is a popular family name:

Familienaam.be - familienamen in België gebaseerd op het rijksregister van
1998 <http://www.familienaam.be/map.php?name=van%20ginderachter>

literally meaning "the back of beyond", (be)yond ~ yonder ~ ginder...the
name also gave rise to the (once) popular beer "Ginder-Ale" (not ginger-ale)

Brouwerij Ginder-Ale -
Wikipedia<http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brouwerij_Ginder-Ale>

* place name "Ginderbuiten" in Mol: ginderbuiten - Google
Maps<http://maps.google.be/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=ginderbuiten> ,
= out there

Off the record, Hungarian artist "Yonderboi" makes some of my favorite
music. He modeled his name after the character of "Lupus Yonderboy",
mysterious gang leader ("that boy yonder") in "Neuromancer", a cyberpunk
novel ('84) by William Gibson.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle, Belgium

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com