LL-L "Delectables" 2010.10.07 (03) [EN]

Fri Oct 8 03:46:53 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 07 October 2010 - Volume 03
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Subject: Delectables

Dear Lowlanders,

There is an old British documentary film about herring fishing along
Britain’s eastern shores:

(1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK3Itb8-tt4
(2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c85uY8nAyeA

Here is a song in Scottish English that deals with herring fishing: “Shoals
of Herring”:
http://www.rampantscotland.com/songs/blsongs_shoals.htm
Performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVgRuLXCQlw

“Saut herrin an tatties” (Scots for “salt herring and potatoes”) is
traditional Scottish fare and reminds me very much of North German *Matjes
mit Kantüffeln* (German: *Matjeshering mit Kartoffeln*).

http://www.scotsindependent.org/features/food/herran.htm

Until not too long ago, herring was a North European staple food, and
trading in preserved herring was one of the mainstays of the Hanseatic
Trading League. Herring was one of the cheapest sorts of fish and was
considered poor folks’ fare. (This is certainly no longer so.) Particularly
preserved herring was consumed widely along the coasts of the North Sea and
the Baltic Sea and farther inland from there. As such it became a staple in
East European Ashkenazi Jewish cuisine as well, so much so, that there is
still much demand for it in Haredi (“Ultra-Orthodox”) circles in Israel, the
Americas and elsewhere. A little herring and whiskey (Yiddish בראָנפֿן
הערינג און[*hering un bronfn*]) is a time-honored snack in between Torah
study sessions.

And the prominent role of herring in the Netherlands? Don’t even get me
started!

Here is the full version of the Scots song (with vocabulary) our Tom posted:

http://www.rampantscotland.com/songs/blsongs_herring.htm

The words are by Carolina Nairne (Lady Nairne, née Oliphant, 1766–1845), the
tune by Neil Gow (MIDI version:
http://www.scottishradiance.com/midi/herrin.mid).

In the way of shameless self-promotion, please let me remind you of my
article about fish in Northern Germany:

http://lowlands-l.net/travels/taste-fish.php

Enjoy, if this is the appropriate word!

Seattle, USA