LL-L "Resources" 2010.10.24 (04) [EN-GA]

Mon Oct 25 00:33:54 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 24 October 2010 - Volume 04
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Dear Lowlanders,

Despite a couple of brief solar occurrences, today’s local weather (which
only a chill-loving duck hunter could have enjoyed) foreshadowed the
gloominess of the season ahead here in the Northern Hemisphere.

This is the time of year when the ancestors in the Northern Hemisphere
Lowlands hunkered down, sat huddled by the fire and listened to the rain, to
the wind and to each other’s stories (tall and otherwise), stories
heightened by the eeriness of the atmosphere and at the same time
heightening it, stories that possibly sparkled even more vividly due to a
nightcap drink or five ...

In our Crypt (http://lowlands-l.net/crypt/) you will now find three eerie
Irish pub tales retold in verse by our own resident Irish bard Tomás Ó
Cárthaigh (a.k.a. Tom Carty):

The Old Bond Store Ghost
http://lowlands-l.net/crypt/oldbond.php

Sitting There, Saying Nothing
http://lowlands-l.net/crypt/sayingnothing.php

Rattling Buckets Can’t Be Seen
http://lowlands-l.net/crypt/rattling.php

In addition, I have cross-posted another eerie poem of our Tom’s from our
Gallery (http://lowlands-l.net/gallery/) to the Crypt:

Irish original:
Aniar a Fhéachann an Bhean Amacht <http://lowlands-l.net/crypt/bean.php>:
http://lowlands-l.net/crypt/bean.php

Tom’s English translation:
Out West Looks the Lady
http://lowlands-l.net/crypt/bean-en.php

My German translation:
Westwärts schauende Dame
http://lowlands-l.net/crypt/bean-de.php

Go raibh maith agat as do chuid ranníocaíochtaí, Tomás chara! Tá mé ag
sheoladh mian leat is fearr.

A round of applause for our Tom, please!

And while you are visiting the Crypt, please check out other
members’/contributors' writings there:
http://lowlands-l.net/crypt/contents.php

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com