LL-L "Horticulture" 2010.10.31 (01) [EN]

Sun Oct 31 22:31:09 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 31 October 2010 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>

Subject: LL-L "new string " 2010.10.30 (01) [NL]

Dear Lowlanders

I would like to consult the collective brain that is the Lowland
Forum once again  on the subject of Anglo-Saxon boundary descriptions
(Markenbeschreibungen).

I was at a talk this afternoon about apples (Yes really!) and the first
talk gave a brief history of apples in this country. The lecturer said
that the Romans apparently brought sweet apples to this country but the
very sparse records of apples / orchards during the Anglo-saxon period
lead historians to think that they may have died out only to be re-
introduced by the Normans post 1066.

In the boundary charter which includes Wichenford ( where I live) dated
757 AD one of the boundary marks is given as 'tha haran apeltreo' - the
hoar / grey apple tree.

This of course could be referring to a wild apple or crab apple. But it
could just feasibly be a sweet apple tree.

So I was wondering - do apple trees figure in places names in the
Lowlands? Or even in any extant Markenbeschreibungen? Did the apple
tree figure at all in Anglo-Saxon life?

If any one has any information re apple tree history in northern Europe
I'd be very grateful  for details.

Many thanks

Heather

Worcester UK