LL-L "Tradition" 2010.09.02 (03) [EN]

Fri Sep 3 18:32:09 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 02 September 2010 - Volume 02
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>

Subject: LL-L "Tradition"

Beste Ben,

You wrote:

I'm on a list about the Norwegian language
mailto:norsklassen-subscribe at yahoogroups.com<norsklassen-subscribe at yahoogroups.com>.
Every now and then I hear dates demarcated in week numbers that, how liberal
of them, start on a Monday. They were asking if this practice goes on in the
Brittish Isles or elsewhere, being that they mentioned that the EU does it.

In my community it's legally forbidden to produce noise on a Sunday (the
Lord rests on that day). So folks start working again on Monday. Pretty
convenient I guess to start the working week on Monday then as well?

Personally I have no preference whatever though...24/7 is perfect for me.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle, Belgium

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Subject: Tradition

Ben,

Clearly, “weird” things happened in the transition from the Jewish Sabbath
(on Saturday) to the Christian Sabbath (on Sunday).

The Jewish Sabbath (שַׁבָּת *šabbāt*) is the last day of the week, and
Sunday (יוֹם* *רִאשׁוֹן *yōm ri’šōn* “first day”) is consequently the first
day of the next week.

Christianity shifted the Sabbath to Sunday, but in most Christian traditions
Sunday also remained the first day of the following week. Some traditions,
like that of Norway, shifted both the Sabbath and the first day of the week
by one day, hence Monday being the first day of the week.

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>