LL-L "Tradition" 2010.09.03 (02) [EN]

Fri Sep 3 19:38:11 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 03 September 2010 - Volume 02
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Heiko Evermann <heiko.evermann at gmx.de>

Subject: LL-L "Tradition" 2010.09.02 (03) [EN]

Hi everyone,

I think you misunderstood Ben:

>> I'm on a list about the Norwegian
>> language mailto:norsklassen-subscribe at yahoogroups.com. Every now and then
>> hear dates demarcated in week numbers that, how liberal of them, start on
>> Monday. They were asking if this practice goes on in the Brittish Isles
or
>> elsewhere, being that they mentioned that the EU does it.
> In my community it's legally forbidden to produce noise on a Sunday (the
> Lord rests on that day). So folks start working again on Monday. Pretty
> convenient I guess to start the working week on Monday then as well?

At work (Tornesch near Hamburg, Germany) I frequently hear some people
setting dates in "Kalenderwochen" (calendar week) like
"This project needs to be done till Kalenderwoche 12". This even pops
up in todo lists and it always makes me feel to be a calendrical
analphabet. The only thing I can do is walk to a wall calendar with
"Kalenderwochen" at the left margin, translate the week number into a
proper date and take the date into my personal todo list.

> Personally I have no preference whatever though...24/7 is perfect for me.

Well, since converting to Seventh-Day-Adventism, I think that it does
matter. My advice is that 24/7 is definitely not a good idea. The text
that contains the defining passages about our western business week is
called "10 commandments" and not "10 suggestions". And it urges us to
take a proper amount of rest.

Hartlich Gröten and Shabbat Shalom ut Hamborg,
Heiko Evermann

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>