LL-L "Tradition" 2010.09.04 (01) [DE-EN-NDS]

Sat Sep 4 14:31:16 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 04 September 2010 - Volume 01
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Ben J. Bloomgren <ben.j.bloomgren at gmail.com>

Subject: LLL Traditions

I've answered my own question about the Kalenderwoch.

http://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/calendar/

Ben

----------

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>

Subject: LL-L "Tradition"

Beste Sandy,

You wrote:

I'm only looking on Wikipedia and things, but I don't see any sort of
week associated with Germanic tribes. It would be a bit of a coincidence
if they had the same length of week as the Christians brought along,
surely? Or did our venerable ancestors just not bother with all that
sort of rot?

I think they did divide a month somewhat. A lunar cycle lasts roughly 28
days (moon > month), half that is a fortnight (= fourteen nights), and half
that again (7 nights) would be a week, corresponding with the 4 phases of
the moon. Whether they attached a special significance to the changing of
weeks, I highly doubt. Then when religion came about and Jews were gathering
on a Saturday, I guess it's convenient for Muslims and Christians to choose
either one day before or one day after Saturday for a religious celebration.
Maybe because in the early days, some liked to worship more than one god,
and therefore celebrations should not coincide?

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx