LL-L "Tradition" 2010.09.04 (02) [EN]

Sat Sep 4 22:58:57 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 04 September 2010 - Volume 02
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Heiko Evermann <heiko.evermann at gmx.de>

Subject: LL-L "Tradition" 2010.09.02 (04) [EN]

Hi Marlou,

> From: M.-L. Lessing <marless at gmx.de>
> Subject: LL-L "Tradition" 2010.09.03 (02) [EN]
> Hello everyone,
> apart from the matter of calendar weeks and religious traditions, is there
> anyone living in a western country who has the feeling that a new week
> begins on sunday? I definitely have not; when I wish you "Schönes
> Wochenende" this clearly includes the Sunday; and for all the people I
know
> Monday is the first day of the new week. When somebody says "We will spend
> this weekend on Fehmarn" everybody knows they will go to Fehmarn for
> Saturday and Sunday. It would feel curious to begin a new week with a day
of
> rest. I would feel uneasy with it. Usually rest is what you need when you
> have finished something. Or what say you?
>
> Hartlich
> Marlou
Well, for us (being Seventh-Day-Adventist) we keep Saturday (Sabbath)
free from work and free from housework and Sunday is the day where we
put all the work that is left over from the week before. So of course,
it is still weekend, but it is also the beginning of our week.

But "this weekend" reminds me of another quirk: for me
* "this weekend" is the weekend that follows immediately,
* whereas "next weekend" is the weekend that follow after "this weekend".

But I freqently notice that quite some people do not see it this way
and say "next weekend" when they mean actually "this weekend".

Heiko

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>