LL-L "Tradition" 2010.09.05 (01) [EN]

Sun Sep 5 16:34:26 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 05 September 2010 - Volume 01
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>

Subject: LL-L "Tradition" 2010.09.04 (01) [DE-EN-NDS]

> From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
>

> I think they did divide a month somewhat. A lunar cycle lasts roughly
> 28 days (moon > month), half that is a fortnight (= fourteen nights),
> and half that again (7 nights) would be a week, corresponding with the
> 4 phases of the moon. Whether they attached a special significance to
> the changing of weeks, I highly doubt. Then when religion came about
> and Jews were gathering on a Saturday, I guess it's convenient for
> Muslims and Christians to choose either one day before or one day
> after Saturday for a religious celebration. Maybe because in the early
> days, some liked to worship more than one god, and therefore
> celebrations should not coincide?

I read somewhere, once, ages ago, that the earliest Christians were in
the habit of meeting secretly once the Jewish celebrations had finished
(presumably they either still saw themselves as Jews or had to pretend
to do the Sabbath). These meetings could extend well into the night and
eventually became part of Sunday. Presumably this is all just guessing.

> From: jmtait <jmtait at wirhoose.co.uk>
>
> Subject: LL-L "Tradition" 2010.09.03 (03) [EN]
>
> Sandy wrote:
>
> From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>
> Subject: LL-L "Tradition" 2010.09.03 (02) [EN]

> Hmm. So why are all the days called after Roman and Germanic deities,
> then?

Oh yeah. I dunno :\

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/