LL-L "Tradition" 2010.09.07 (01) [EN]

Tue Sep 7 16:10:10 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 07 September 2010 - Volume 01
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Brooks, Mark <mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us>

Subject: LL-L "Tradition" 2010.09.03 (03) [EN]

Marlou asked: “is there anyone living in a western country who has the *feeling
*that a new week begins on sunday?”

Well, yes, I do. But, I also consider Sunday to be part of the weekend.
Strange I suppose.

By the way, I work for a governmental agency that administers Unemployment
Insurance. We pay benefits by weeks, and our weeks begin on Sundays and end
on Saturdays. Therefore, Saturday September 4 was in a different week than
Sunday September 5.

One of our policies says that if you were physically unable to work for more
than one day in a week, we cannot pay you benefits for that week. If you
were unable to work on Saturday and Sunday, we can pay you benefits for both
weeks, because those days fall in different weeks.

Mark Brooks

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>