LL-L "Lexicon" 2010.09.07 (02) [DE-EN-NDS]

Tue Sep 7 16:14:55 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 07 September 2010 - Volume 02
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Marcus Buck <list at marcusbuck.org>

Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2010.09.06 (04) [EN]

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Subject: Lexicon

Dear Lowlanders,

When it comes to “lobster” (*Nephropidae*), specifically “European lobster”
(*Homarus gammarus*), I want to say *Hummer* in Low Saxon (as also in
German), although I am aware that in some parts of Northern Germany, such as
Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, the word is *Lobster* (probably due to
English influence).

The Nordic Germanic languages all have variants of *hummer*, as do
Lithuanian (*omaras*), Latvian (*omārs*), Estonian (*homaar*) and Finnish (*
hummeri*), and also the Slavic languages.

Aiming at an interregional readership in a Low Saxon writing project, I need
to decide whether to use *Hummer* or *Lobster*. What is your advice?

I've never heard "Lobster" in Low Saxon. Where have you read or heard that
word? The word "Hummer"/"hommer" is present in Low Saxon, German and Dutch
(according to my etymological dictionaries it's a loan from a Scandinavian
language in all three of them). "Lobster" is only known in some Low Saxon
dialects and in English. If you aim at interregional understandability
"Hummer" is the choice.

If "Lobster" is from Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, "Hummer" has also the
advantage to stem from a region where there actually are lobsters. Lobsters
live around Helgoland in the North Sea, but they do not live in the Baltic
Sea.

It would be interesting whether there are any native Low Saxon words for it.
My etymological dictionaries say that the word "Hummer" entered German in
the 16th century. If the situation is similar for Low Saxon there must have
been a native word before. Helgoland, the main habitat, was and is
Frisian-speaking but most of the Helgolandian contact with the outside world
was conducted in Low Saxon.

On the other hand, Helgoland being the only lobster habitat close to the Low
Saxon regions it's very plausible that the word used by Helgolandians is
also the word used by their Low Saxon customers. So if there were native
terms they are almost certainly extinct now.

By the way, Ron, could "Lobster" be part of "GDR language"? Like "Broiler"?

Marcus Buck

----------

From: Uwe Tychsen <tychsen at t-online.de>

Leive Ron,

bi uns in Oosholstein heit se uk *Hummer*. Övrigens uk in Däänmark: *Hummer*.
De Helgolänner secht *Hómer*, uk wenn de Insel bet 1890 tau England hüürt
het. (min Fruu Ilse kümmt daar her).

Ik grüss di ut Niestat
Uwe

----------

From: Hannelore Hinz <HanneHinz at t-online.de>

Nu kam ick, leiw' Lowlanners,

*Lobster,* Pl. -s m. Hummer, Lobstersalat m, Hummersalat. BRI. : John
Brinckmanns Plattdeutsche Werke. Band 2, 37; 4, 55,

hg. von der Arbeitsgruppe der Plattdeutschen Gilde zu Rostock. 7 Bde.
(Wolgast)Greifswald 1924 - 1934. - Pl. Nachl.: John Brinckmans Nachlaß, hg.
von A. Römer, Plattdeutscher Teil. 3 Bde. Berlin o.J. - Volkssp.:
Mecklenburgischer Volksspiegel aus plattdeutschen Sprichwörtern
undKernsprüchen. In: Ndd. Jb. 31, 22ff.

Literatur: Wossidlo/Teuchert

*Hummer:* Der Name des Schalentieres scheint sich von Skandinavien, an
dessen norwegischer Küste seit alters gute Möglichkeiten für den Hummerfang
bestehen, ausgebreitet zu haben. Im dt. Sprachgebiet war das Wort zunächst
auf das Niederd. beschränkt. Seit dem 16 Jh. erlangte es gemeinsprachliche
Geltung. Niederl. hummer, isl. humar, norw.,schwed., dän. hummer, mit denen
wahrscheinlich griech. kámmaros "eine Art Krebs" verwandt ist, gehören
vermutlich im Sinne "gewölbtes oder

[mit einer Schale] bedecktes Tier" zu der unter *Hemd* dargestellten idg.
Wurzel *kem- "bedecken, umhüllen".

niederd.: niederdeutsch, niederl.: niederländisch.

Lit.: DUDEN 7 Etymologie der deutschen Sprache

Und noch dieses:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hummer

Die Hummergabel liegt schon bereit, "nu gah ick in denn' Fischladen un köp
mi 'n Lobster", aber ich glaube, die Verkäuferin kennt dieses Wort nicht...

Hartlich Gräuten.

Hanne

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>