LL-L "Etymology" 2010.09.11 (03) [EN]

Sat Sep 11 20:17:05 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 11 September 2010 - Volume 03
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Jonny Meibohm <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>

Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.09.09 (03) [EN]

Beste Lowlanners,

some more about "driiten" etc.

Marcus:

This suggests to me that it is a solely Westfalian word.
To me it sounds plausible that is was a common Germanic word that fell out
of use in some regions. But if it was common Germanic it must have fallen
out of use at an early stage. There seem to be no traces in Low Saxon
outside Westfalian. That points back in time to about 500 AD, the time when
Westfalia and parts of what is now the Netherlands became saxonized. My
guess is that the Saxons had lost the word before 500, but the pre-Saxon
Westfalians still knew it and imported it in their new language. If "driet"
was a Frankish import or if "driet" fell out of use at a later date it
wouldn't be confined to Westfalia.

Could the German word "Abtritt", meaning WC, be related?

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm
Lower Saxony, Germany

----------

From: Jonny Meibohm <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>

Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Dear Lowlanners,

in our local dialect of LS we use the curious term *"Basbecker"* for German
"Wiesenschnake", *Tipula paludosa. *Other trivial names in German are
'Schuster', 'Weberknecht' etc..

Let me explain the curiosity: "Basbeck" is a small village near by (just on
the half between Marcus and me, near to the maternal Low Saxon roots of
Marlou ;-)), but the name "Basbecker" for this mosquito is used in a larger
area around (ca. 40 km in circle??), in Land Hadeln as well as in Land
Kehdingen.

It would be interesting to hear from other Lowlanners

-if the name even is widerly spread out than in the named region;

-what could be the background of such a special local nickname?

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm
Lower Saxony, Germany

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com