LL-L "Etymology" 2010.09.12 (01) [EN]

Sun Sep 12 17:32:33 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 12 September 2010 - Volume 01
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Marcus Buck <list at marcusbuck.org>

Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.09.11 (03) [EN]

From: Jonny Meibohm <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>

Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.09.09 (03) [EN]

some more about "driiten" etc.

Could the German word "Abtritt", meaning WC, be related?

The dictionary of the Brothers Grimm says it's from "treten". Here's the
relevant paragraph that shows the initial meaning:

der abtritt vom amte (gegenüber dem antritt), aus dem leben (hintritt), von
der bühne, vom glauben; auch wol cessio, der abtritt eines rechts,
grundstücks f. abtretung. endlich der geheime ort und gang im hause, der
abtritt, für welchen die sprache eine menge andrer namen bietet. (s.
DWBhäuschen<http://urts55.uni-trier.de:8080/Projekte/WBB2009/DWB/wbgui_py?bookref=10,655,1&mode=&prefix=hae&patternlist=>,
DWB läublein<http://urts55.uni-trier.de:8080/Projekte/WBB2009/DWB/wbgui_py?bookref=12,297,72&mode=&prefix=lae&patternlist=>,
DWB gelegenheit<http://urts55.uni-trier.de:8080/Projekte/WBB2009/DWB/wbgui_py?bookref=5,2938,72&mode=&prefix=gel&patternlist=>,
heimliches gemach, abort, ausgang, sprachhaus.)

So "Abtritt" meant a "retreat place" in the house. A place where you would
go when you 'step away' (abtreten).

Marcus Buck

 From: Jonny Meibohm <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>

in our local dialect of LS we use the curious term *"Basbecker"* for German
"Wiesenschnake", *Tipula paludosa. *Other trivial names in German are
'Schuster', 'Weberknecht' etc..

Let me explain the curiosity: "Basbeck" is a small village near by (just on
the half between Marcus and me, near to the maternal Low Saxon roots of
Marlou ;-)), but the name "Basbecker" for this mosquito is used in a larger
area around (ca. 40 km in circle??), in Land Hadeln as well as in Land
Kehdingen.

It would be interesting to hear from other Lowlanners

-if the name even is widerly spread out than in the named region;

-what could be the background of such a special local nickname?

I have no idea about the background. All I can say is that the common word
for this animal is "Schooster" in my dialect. That's the only word I know
for it. But it's possible that more competent speakers of our dialect know
the term "Basbecker" too.

Marcus Buck

----------

From: Heinrich Becker <heinrich.becker at gmx.net>

some more about "driiten" etc.

*-------Originalmeldung-------*

From: Jonny Meibohm <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>

Dear Lowlanders,

as a "Muensterlaender" by birth the expression "drieten" or much more used
as a noun "driet(e)" is pretty well known to me. in the sense: >Wi möt't
Driete fören>.

That means: The pit is full. We have to carry out manure from the barn.

P.S. Same word is used in Twentsch Platt on Dutch side.

Heinrich Becker

from Berlin

----------

From: Hannelore Hinz HanneHinz at t-online.de

Dear Jonny and Lowlanners,

you wrote: in our local dialect of LS we use the curious term *"Basbecker" *for
German "Wiesenschnake", *Tipula paludosa. *Other trivial names in German are
'Schuster', 'Weberknecht' etc..

Look please: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weberknechte ...is it right?

Allerbest ok von mi.

Hanne