LL-L "Etymology" 2010.09.12 (02) [EN]

Sun Sep 12 23:02:07 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 12 September 2010 - Volume 02
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Marcus Buck <list at marcusbuck.org>

Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.09.12 (01) [EN]

From: Marcus Buck <list at marcusbuck.org>

From: Jonny Meibohm <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>

in our local dialect of LS we use the curious term *"Basbecker"* for German
"Wiesenschnake", *Tipula paludosa. *Other trivial names in German are
'Schuster', 'Weberknecht' etc..

Let me explain the curiosity: "Basbeck" is a small village near by (just on
the half between Marcus and me, near to the maternal Low Saxon roots of
Marlou ;-)), but the name "Basbecker" for this mosquito is used in a larger
area around (ca. 40 km in circle??), in Land Hadeln as well as in Land
Kehdingen.

It would be interesting to hear from other Lowlanners

-if the name even is widerly spread out than in the named region;

-what could be the background of such a special local nickname?

I have no idea about the background. All I can say is that the common word
for this animal is "Schooster" in my dialect. That's the only word I know
for it. But it's possible that more competent speakers of our dialect know
the term "Basbecker" too.

I've done some (oral) research, the term "Basbecker" is known in our dialect
too.

Marcus Buck

----------

From: Helge Tietz <helgetietz at yahoo.com>

Hi all!

I actually have collected a little list of Low Saxon words I am using now
when speaking to my little child and with some of the words it occurred me
that I never really got to know what their origins are:

"aisch" > for naughty
"kruetsch" > if the child don't wants to eat the food it is supposed ot eat
"bloof" > flower, instead of common LS "bloom", might be a very local thing
for the Rendsborg district in Sleswick-Holsten
"roe" as the plural of "rad" > wheel and the same for "bloe" as the plural
of "blatt" > leave
"freemark" > stamp, I suspect Danish origin ("frimerke")
"groessoellern" instead of common LS "grootoellern", again, might be a very
local thing for the Rendsborg district
"kroeti" > for stubborn
"jitteli" > for impatient
"tueffeli" > for clumsy
"glaai" > dishonest friendliness or dishonest kindliness.
"slusoor" > for a person who is careless
"schlaeif" > for a phlegmatic person

Anyone any ideas what are the origins of those words? Pleased note, I do not
have the umlauts on my keyboard and oe is the German-o-Umlaut (Dutch > eu),
ue the German-u-Umlaut (Dutch > u) and ae the German a-Umlaut (close to
Dutch ee).

Groeten,
Helge

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com