LL-L "Etymology" 2010.09.13 (03) [EN]

Mon Sep 13 16:24:17 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 13 September 2010 - Volume 03
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Jonny Meibohm <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>

Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.09.12 (01) [EN]

Beste Hanne,

Du schreyvst:

Look please: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weberknechte ...is it right?

Mit de Naomens "Schuster" un' "Weberknecht" kaomt de Lüü' faoken in'n
Tüdel - dat schrivvt Wiki ouk hier:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schnaken

Hesst goud opp-passt ;-)!

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm
Lower Saxony, Germany

----------

From: Marcus Buck <list at marcusbuck.org>

Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.09.12 (02) [EN]

From: Helge Tietz <helgetietz at yahoo.com>

I actually have collected a little list of Low Saxon words I am using now
when speaking to my little child and with some of the words it occurred me
that I never really got to know what their origins are:

"aisch" > for naughty
"kruetsch" > if the child don't wants to eat the food it is supposed ot eat
"bloof" > flower, instead of common LS "bloom", might be a very local thing
for the Rendsborg district in Sleswick-Holsten
"roe" as the plural of "rad" > wheel and the same for "bloe" as the plural
of "blatt" > leave
"freemark" > stamp, I suspect Danish origin ("frimerke")
"groessoellern" instead of common LS "grootoellern", again, might be a very
local thing for the Rendsborg district
"kroeti" > for stubborn
"jitteli" > for impatient
"tueffeli" > for clumsy
"glaai" > dishonest friendliness or dishonest kindliness.
"slusoor" > for a person who is careless
"schlaeif" > for a phlegmatic person

- "eisch" is from Germanic aiwisk (
<http://starling.rinet.ru/cgi-bin/response.cgi?root=config&morpho=0&basename=\data\ie\germet&first=21><http://starling.rinet.ru/cgi-bin/response.cgi?root=config&morpho=0&basename=%5Cdata%5Cie%5Cgermet&first=21>)
"dishonour, disgrace, offence".
- "krütsch" is probably folk etymology connecting the word "krüüsch" with
"Kruud". "krüüsch" is a form with metathesis of "köörsch", formerly
"kürisch" from the same stem as German "küren" and English "choose". In the
end it's connected with English "choosy".
- I don't know about "Rö'" and "Blö'", but it's the same here (either "Rö'"
or "Rö'r")
- "Größöllern" is semi-Standard German. Many Low Saxon dialects know forms
like that.
- "tüffeli(g)" most likely is from "Tüffel" meaning "slipper", short for
"Pantüffel". Somebody who is "tüffelig" is clumsy like somebody who wears
slippers.
- "Sleef" means "dipper". I don't know the semantical connection between
"dipper" and phlegmatic person", but it's the same word and "phlegmatic
person" is a metaphoric use.
- "kröti(g)" is from Middle Low Saxon "krode" meaning "venomous, vicous,
malign".
- "glai" means "glistening" and is related to "glöhen" meaning "to glow".
The meaning "dishonest friendliness or dishonest kindliness" is figurative.
- "jiddeli(g)" is known here too, but I don't know the origin.
- I never heard "Bloof".

Marcus Buck

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>