LL-L "Language learning" 2010.09.13 (04) [EN]

Tue Sep 14 00:58:01 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 13 September 2010 - Volume 04
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Ulpi Alvarez <email at ulpialvarez.com>

Subject: LL-L "Language learning" 2010.09.13 (01) [EN-NL]

From: Jonny Meibohm <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de<http://jonny%2Emeibohm@arcor.de/>

Subject: LL-L "Language learning"

Beste Lowlanners,
this may be an interesting thread:

Definitely a link worth posting to facebook :-)

----------

From: Heiko Evermann <heiko.evermann at gmx.de>

Hi Jonny,

> Franstalige kinderen leren best eerst in het Nederlands lezen

> Samen met het Engels behoort het Frans tot de 'moeilijke talen' in de zin
> dat de overeenkomst tussen wat er geschreven wordt en hoe het gelezen
wordt
> niet altijd eenduidig is, zo staat in een persbericht van de VUB. 'Als je
> een 'o' hoort in het Nederlands is de kans groot dat je 'o' spelt, maar
niet
> zo in het Frans waar dit bijvoorbeeld 'eau' of 'au' kan zijn.'

To me this is no surprise. I wonder how they learn to read. How do you
teach first words? Does one have to pick words that are pronounced
almost as they are written? After all I do that even in German. We
start with "MAMA", "PAPA" "OPA" and "OMA" and not with words that are
not written according to our customs at all like "GENDER
MAINSTREAMING". But with French the choices are very limited. ("Child,
forget about the last letter, we never pronounce that..:")

But the story also reminds me of an old joke:
Conversation between an Englishman, a Frenchman and a German.
(Besides: it is Englishwoman. Does the word Frenchwoman exist? But it
definitely is not Gerwoman...)
Englishman: in our language we have big differences between spelling
and pronunciation. We write "hiccough" and say "hickup".
Frenchmen: we write "cherchaient" and say "shershe"
German: well, in German it is even worse. We write "Wie bitte?" and say
"häh?".

Heiko Evermann
Hamburg

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com