LL-L "Delectables" 2011.04.05 (03) [EN]

Tue Apr 5 17:32:31 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 05 April 2011 - Volume 03
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Kevin & Cheryl Caldwell <kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2011.04.03 (02) [EN-NDS]

Roger, I’ve been trying to figure out what you mean by “hot rice cookies”.
I’ve never heard of such a thing on a hotel breakfast buffet (or anywhere
else, for that matter).  Then it occurred to me late last night that you
might be referring to hash brown patties, which are made from potatoes, not
rice. Do they look like this?

http://www.anything4restaurants.com/products/ore-ida-oval-patty-potato-hash-brown-133269.html

By the way, for a typical American breakfast menu, you should visit a
diner.  There are also several national or regional restaurant chains that
offer typical hot breakfast foods: Denny’s, IHOP (International House of
Pancakes, which serves more than pancakes), Bob Evans, Big Boy, Cracker
Barrel, Waffle House, Shoney’s...  None of these are particularly healthy
though (but some provide healthy options for some items, such as egg
substitutes).

Kevin Caldwell

Laurel, MD

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L Delectables Re: LL-L "Language use" 2011.04.02 (04) [EN]

 And btw what does one eat for breakfast?

At the hotels one often has "the buffet", often only one formula: it is the
buffet or nothing, with basically a combination of:

- bacon, sausage + scrambled eggs + hashed potatos, or pancakes, or hot rice
cookies

- cereals, or Kellogg sugared stuff + milk + extra sugar

- muffins or similar (incidentally also donuts)

- bread, butter, marmelade

- fruit.

It may be expensive when one pays 15-20 USD + tip flat rate for the buffet,
when one eats just one muffin with a cup of coffee.

I hate bacon and eggs with pancakes or rice cookies.

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com