LL-L "Onomatopoeia" 2011.04.09 (03) [EN]

Sun Apr 10 05:10:14 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 09 April 2011 - Volume 03
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Andy Eagle <andy at scots-online.org>

Subject: LL-L "Onomatopoeia" 2011.04.08 (01) [EN]

Ron wrote:

>Mark and At, I, too, suspect that klank ‘sound’ is onomatopoeic in origin,
as are connected nouns and verbs.

>Afrikaans: klank [klɑ̃ˑŋk]
>Dutch: klank [klɑˑŋk]
>Low Saxon: (NL) klaank, (DE) Klang [klaˑŋk]
>Limburgish: klank [klɑˑŋk]
>German: Klang [klaŋ] (Missingsch Klang [klaˑŋk])
>Yiddish: קלאַנג (klang) [klaŋ]
>Old German: klang
>Middle German: klanc

>Note also verbs such as Low Saxon klingen [ˈklɪŋː], German klingen
[ˈklɪŋən], Yiddish קלינגען [ˈklɪŋgən] ‘to ring’, ‘to sound’ (Old German
klingan), Low Saxon klingeln [ˈklɪŋl̩n], German klingeln [ˈklɪŋəln] ‘to
jingle’. Low Saxon Klingel [ˈklɪŋl̩], German Klingel [ˈklɪŋəl], Limburgish
Klingel [ˈklɪŋl̩] ‘small bell’ (NB: /-l-/ frequentive).

>Cf. English “clang”, Latin clangere ‘to make a sharp sound’

Scots has:

clank [klaŋk] A loud noise.
clink [klɪŋk] A sharp, metallic sound. Money, cash, the price. A blow.

Andy Eagle

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com