LL-L "Onomatopoeia" 2011.04.10 (01) [EN]

Sun Apr 10 13:35:20 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 10 April 2011 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Pat Barrett <pbarrett at cox.net>

Subject: LL-L "Onomatopoeia" 2011.04.09 (03) [EN]

Obviously borrowed from German is the technical term in psychiatry, "klang
association", having to do with thought disorders which cause the patient to
believe in a connection between words that sound similar. The word is
spelled "clang" now and is derived from Latin clangere [cited below], but
when I worked in a psychiatric clinic, it was "klang". I'm inclined to think
the German-speaking psychiatrists so prominent in the early history of
psychiatry brought it in from their language.

Here's some definitions of the term:

the mental connection between dissociated ideas made because of similarity
in the sounds of the words used to describe the ideas. The phenomenon occurs
frequently in schizophrenia

A shift in a conversation or flow of ideas, based on the sound of the words
being used, not the content

My whole point here is that "klang" does occur in English, albeit pulled in
from German in a very special function with a change in its spelling.

Pat Barrett

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com