LL-L "Grammar" 2011.04.14 (01) [EN-FR-NL]

Thu Apr 14 17:54:26 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 14 April 2011 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>

Subject: LL-L "Grammar"

Some of our languages have particular modal forms for the verb.

These forms ore often difficult to translate in other languages.

E.g. how to translate properly the difference between:

I eat now

I'm eating now.

Are you chewing the food more with the latter than with the former?

In Limburgish we have the gerundium

*http://cf.hum.uva.nl/natlearn/limburgs/bijl2.html*<http://cf.hum.uva.nl/natlearn/limburgs/bijl2.html>

*..... Het Limburgs heeft eigen gerundium-vormen, bijv. een westgermaanse
relictvorm op -erre die de functie heeft van een tegenwoordig deelwoord
(sjpeulenterre, sjrieventerre: "al spelend", "al schrijvend").... *

I would translate my Limburgish differently, e.g.

Ich loop zeingend;   I run and I'm singing the same time

Ich loop zeingenterre:    I run and my singing is in line with my running

Today I saw a case in Rouchi (the Picard variety of the Valenciennes area -
or Western Hainaut/Henegouwen in France) (see below):

d'allache = old latin "inde" (from somewhere) + French aller:

meaning nowadays: start going, becoming in a state of going

Are these stand alone dialectical developments,

or lefts-over of much richer proto-language forms?

Regards,

Roger