LL-L "Language history" 2011.04.19 (01) [EN]

Tue Apr 19 07:46:09 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 19 April 2011 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Isaac M. Davis <isaacmacdonalddavis at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language history" 2011.04.18 (02) [EN]

Paul Finlow-Bates wrote:

You may not need to share a language to interbreed, but having interbred,
you (or your offspring) are pretty likely to share a language.

That could be true, in the first generation at least. But depending on
whether the culture in question is matrilocal or patrilocal, the next
generation (if not the first generation itself, only having one example of
the non-local language to draw from) would speak mostly or only the local
language.

Best,

Isaac M. Davis

--

"As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master."
—Abraham Lincoln

----------

From: Mike Morgan <mwmbombay at gmail.com>

Marcus writes re Ron/Reinhard's comment son Indogermanisch that:

I don't think this is a good example. It was named after the two geographic
extremes among the language families united by the Indogermanic superfamily.
There's nothing nationalist about that.

Well, if you consider that the extremes are deinfed in one way rather than
another by one people ratehr than another, maybe.

But if a Spaniard defined the Eastern extreme of the
Indo-whateveryoumaycallit language family, it might be called Indo-Romance,
or if an Irishman did the name calling, it might be Indo-Celtic... and if
the Saka-Khotanese were still around to do some naming, it might be
Turpano-Icelandean! (oh, alas! if ONLy we KNEW for certain the Urheimat....
THEN we could have a name!)

"Indoeuropean" is the true nationalist term. The English language almost
exclusively used the term "Indogermanic" until WW I when "Indoeuropean"
sprung up.

Well, maybe. Or maybe it was the real ANTI-nazionalist term ;-)

One CAN of course claim to go a totally neutral route and simply call it the
IE language family, claiming that IE is just IE, and doesn't "stand for"
Indo-European or anything (just as the SIL folks now sometimes claim that
SIL does NOT stand for Summer Institute of Linguistics)...

 mwm || U C > || mike || мика  || माईक || マイク || மாய்க் (aka Dr Michael W
Morgan)
Senior Consultant
BA in Applied Sign Language Studies (BAASLS)
Indira Gandhi National Open Univeristy
New Delhi, India

"The sad truth is that most evil is done by people who never make up their
minds to be good or evil." (Hannah Arendt)

"When good people in any country cease their vigilance and struggle, then
evil men prevail." (Pearl S. Buck)

----------

From: Mike Morgan <mwmbombay at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language history" 2011.04.18 (01) [EN]

I have, sitting on my self a work that demonstrates that Sumerian is a
Turkic language written in that same vain...

When i first moved to Japan, aeons ago (year of the emperor Heisei 1 to be
exact) as a historical linguist who was also embarking on his study of the
Japanese language, i started to buy any books I could find that dealt with
theories of the origin and geneology of Japanese. There were soem books in
the West (Roy Miller was a big proponent of the Altaic theory of Japanese),
but mostly I was buying books in Japanese by japanese. After a short while
(1 year?) I realized that all these books would probably best be reshelved,
moved from Linguistics to Humour... or Wackie Theories. The most
"scientific" monograph (it was FULL of tables and charts and numbers, so it
MUST have been felt to be science) porposed the Dravidian theory of the
origin of Japanese...

(In addition to language books, there was a whole ton of books on "Theory of
the Japanese" (日本人論)... all part of a quest for finding a "place" for
Japanese culture and identity ... in the world yet unique...  a quest very
much in the spirit of the 18th-19th century (German) Romantic Nationalist
quest for "Volkgeist"

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com