LL-L "Language history" 2011.04.20 (03) [EN]

Thu Apr 21 03:15:24 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 20 April 2011 - Volume 03
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Pat Barrett <pbarrett at cox.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language history" 2011.04.20 (01) [EN]

Isn't that sad. I once was approached by high school students (I'm a h.s.
teacher) to start a "German" club. It quickly turned out they wanted a White
supremacist platform. I quickly agreed to be their sponsor and mentioned in
passing that no club on campus can be exclusive. They were sure that the
Black Student Union was for Blacks only. Once they found out they couldn't
be exclusive, they dropped the idea.

How sad that "German" is associated with this crap. I remind my U.S.
students that we are home to one of the world's longest-lived terrorist
organization, the KKK, and it's still going strong!

On another listserv an Anglo teacher of Chinese described how hilarious and
sad it was to listen to reporters in Taiwan almost pleading with a scientist
describing the "out of Africa" theory of human origins to offer an exemption
for the Chinese. The idea of being tied to Africans in any way wiped out
their jounrnalistic objectivity and evoked racial hysteria.

Pat Barrett
http://ideas.lang-learn.us/barrett.php

----------

From: R. F. Hahn
<sassisch at yahoo.com<http://uk.mc286.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=sassisch@yahoo.com>>

Subject: Language history

I wish I had a Euro for every time I was approached by white supremacists
and those of their ilk outside Europe, especially in the 1970s and 1980s.
Because I was from Germany, they assumed they and I were birds of a feather.
That’s how uneducated they were. They dropped me like a hot potato as soon
as they found out that I was anything *but* a bird of *their* feather.

And on two occasions (in the early 1980s) I saw Chinese women being attacked
verbally and physically for walking around with Africans men ... In both
cases they turned out to be French-speaking school administrators helping
newly arrived African students.

Racism comes in all shades of the rainbow.

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com