LL-L "Language history" 2011.04.21 (01) [EN]

Thu Apr 21 16:17:23 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 21 April 2011 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: M.-L. Lessing <marless at gmx.de
Subject: LL-L "Language history" 2011.04.20 (03) [EN]

Dear Pat, yes, it's sad. But "sowas kommt von sowas", as people say here.
There was a time... And one of the sadder things is: Many Germans, instead
of making clear the differences between fascism an being German, rather tend
to denounce their culture, all but their very existence as as fascist thing.
A woman whom I knew from Uni Hamburg (she studied Germanistik there!!!)
married a frenchman. She told me: "My future in-laws were all very kind. We
sat on the terrace after an excellent dinner on a warm evening, and they
started to sing french folk songs, very pretty. Then they asked *me* to sing
a *german* folk song!! Of course I refused, asking if they thought me a
nazi!" ---- Now what can you say? She is an academic, a germanist -- and
obviously an idiot. But there are some of that stamp. --- Maybe that's a way
of justice. The nazis looked down on and wanted to extinguish all tradition
but their own. They have achieved the reverse -- by planting abhorrence and
distrust against all that they held up into the minds of all people. This is
really throwing the baby out with the bath water. But the more you think
about the bath water, the more you think it is worth it. If this was the
only way to get rid of that bath water!!

Now I'm going astray and getting confused. Hartlich Ostergröten from
folk-song-loving Marlou!

From: Pat Barrett <pbarrett at cox.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language history" 2011.04.20 (01) [EN]

Isn't that sad. I once was approached by high school students (I'm a h.s.
teacher) to start a "German" club. It quickly turned out they wanted a White
supremacist platform. I quickly agreed to be their sponsor and mentioned in
passing that no club on campus can be exclusive. They were sure that the
Black Student Union was for Blacks only. Once they found out they couldn't
be exclusive, they dropped the idea.

How sad that "German" is associated with this crap. I remind my U.S.
students that we are home to one of the world's longest-lived terrorist
organization, the KKK, and it's still going strong!

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com