LL-L "Language varieties" 2011.04.21 (02) [EN]

Thu Apr 21 16:20:40 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 21 April 2011 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming <fleemin at live.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language history" 2011.04.16 (01) [EN]

> From: Mark and Ruth Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>

> Subject: LL-L "Language history" 2011.04.15 (05) [EN]

> By the way, it didn't seem to me the kids in that video were actually
communicating verbally, but they had the wit to pretend to, as between
themselves, while actually going by gesture & expression. I am informed that
kids can sign meaningfully long before they are able to speak. Sandy, what
do you say - about this last?

Yes, children can sign much earlier than they can speak, hence the
popularity of "baby sign".

I think with baby sign the limiting factor is usually the fact that the
parents don't tend to know any more sign language than the baby, so the
baby's learning opportunities can be limited.

Hearing babies whose parents are hearing but know BSL have more range but
forget the language before they go to school. I don't know what scientific
studies have been done but of the three hearing children I know who knew
sign as babies, and whose hearing parents actually know BSL, do seem to be
top of the class in a range of subjects, and this is from parents showing me
their report cards, not just their own estimation. Still, it's not a large
sample space!

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com