LL-L "Grammar" 2011.04.22 (02) [EN]

Fri Apr 22 21:09:56 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 22 April 2011 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar"

On 22/04/11, at 20:03, Lowlands-L List wrote:

 I'm well aware that the treated distortion phenomena, once grammatically
established and generally used, hardly could changed back. But perhaps some
more historical consciousness could be integrated in Dutch language teaching
and grammar (and not only in historical linguistics, where I indeed found
the material).

How do you thing about that? Tell me, where my fact finding is erroneous and
- in case - why my concept of historically aware grammar is mistaken.

I cannot but agree on your findings and remarks. My take on it, is that due
to heavy influx of well to do and influential Southerners in Holland, back
in the 16th and 17th century, language "architects" have started to engineer
Dutch. A standard language was constructed. Here in the South though, this
"novel" language did not catch on, it has long been considered "alien"
because it was perceived as a "boekentaal" (which it actually was to a large
extent).

One example, my parents will never use the word "jullie", it's just not part
of their casual register, it's a "boekenwoord". They will write it down when
necessary, but they will never pronounce it.

Personally, because I'm a teacher, I will use the word only in a scholastic
environment. Outside the classroom, even with co-workers, it won't cross my
lips...it's just not felt to be colloquial. Reason of course is, that we
stick to the old "gij-lie" (> gijle, gelle). No initial -j- forms at all in
our Frankish, those are considered Western and Northern.

Students are slowly evolving though, and like always, the dialect that
triggers these changes the most is the city dialect of Antwerp. It almost
functions as a bridge between the Deep South and Holland. On the one hand,
it still sounds "plat" (making it acceptable for trendsetters), on the
other, it's probably the most innovative dialect (testing ground for
Northern novelties). Moreover, the increasing number of female teachers in
Belgian education plays a role too. The less conservative nature of female
speech (compared to men's) will set a blueprint for the near future.

Voilà, just my two cents.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle, Belgium