LL-L "Lexicon" 2011.04.24 (03) [EN]

Mon Apr 25 03:29:39 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 24 April 2011 - Volume 03
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Pat Barrett <pbarrett at cox.net>
Subject: LL-L "Help please" 2011.04.24 (01) [EN]

I'm not sure why Dutch would have a word for ranch. There are so many words
for culturally specific items and we often use the word in the other
language. You can't find a word in English for "enchilada" ['a piece of
flatbread made of cornmeal stuffed with cheese and covered in a red chile
sauce' leads to 'what's chile sauce?'], we just say "enchilada" and I doubt
many people even think of the word as Spanish; same for taco, burro,
quesadilla, and other Mexican foods. Ranch, of course, comes from Spanish
rancho b/c the Spanish missionaries developed animal husbandry in this style
here in the Southwest (U.S.).

Now Afrikaans may very well have a word that conjures up an image similar to
a ranch. Do some of the Dutch words Tomoki provides do that?

Pat Barrett
http://ideas.lang-learn.us/barrett.php

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com