LL-L "Lexicon" 2011.04.26 (01) [EN]

Tue Apr 26 18:23:28 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 26 April 2011 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2011.04.25 (03) [EN]

I believe meaning drift affects all languages, especially when a word is
borrowed precisely because there is no native equivalent.  The potato is an
example: French and Dutch went down the descriptive route: "earth apple",
whereas English borrowed a native word - except that the Carib *batatas* is
a root plant totally unrelated to the common spud as we know it.  But any
language encountering a foreign thing or idea is going to have the same
dilemma, whether they had an empire or not.  Mexico was never part of the
British empire, but we still have to call an enchillada something, be it
enchillada or Mexican cheesy bean roll.

If it comes to that, I've never had a Mexican enchillada in Mexico, so I
don't even know if the things I've eaten in Australia or England are
actually enchilladas at all.  What I think of when I see or hear the word
might be quite different from the Mexican concept.

Paul

Paul