LL-L "Sign language" 2011.04.29 (01) [DE-EN-NDS]

Fri Apr 29 18:32:44 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 29 April 2011 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mike Morgan <mwmbombay at gmail.com>

Subject: LL-L "Sign language" 2011.04.28 (05) [EN-NL]

Ron/Reinhard writes:

> A deaf fellow passenger on a bus I regularly ride talks to himself in
> American Sign Language. I was surprised at first, but then it made sense. If
> you do talk to yourself (which these days is not always obvious, what with
> all the new "invisible" phone gadgets) you might as well do it in sign
> language if you know it.

It has been pointed out to me (by my wife who LOVES to point out my quirks)
that I often talk to myself in sign language...

I also use sign language as a mneumonic... I find it much easier to remember
things "manually" (esp things like phone numbers)

Also according to my wife, I talk in my sleep in Russian, Nepali and (an
indeterminate) Sign language (her signing is confused, as she has been
exposed simultaneously to Japanese and American Sign languages without
having learned enough to tell which is which)

... and I often swear at myself (and others?) in Russian...

mwm || U C > || mike || мика  || माईक || マイク || மாய்க் (aka Dr Michael W
Morgan)

Senior Consultant
BA in Applied Sign Language Studies (BAASLS)
Indira Gandhi National Open Univeristy
New Delhi, India

"Too often we honor swagger and bluster and wielders of force; too often we
excuse those who are willing to build their own lives on the shattered
dreams of others. ... [T]here is another kind of violence, slower but just
as deadly destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the
violence of institutions; indifference and inaction and slow decay." (Bobby
Kennedy, 5 April 1968)