LL-L "Etymology" 2011.08.01 (02) [DE-EN-NDS]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 1 15:44:53 UTC 2011

 L O W L A N D S - L - 01 August 2011 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sid retrad at peoplepc.com

Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2011.07.31 (01) [EN]

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2011.07.28 (04) [EN-NL]

Dear Piet

What an amazing co-incidence!!! It would fit perfectly. This
boundary line 'wraps itself' round old tumuli. Are there corresponding
LG / Saxon words?

Also now searching for the origins of 'hovel' It is frequently used in
deeds and documents dating back 2-3 centuries to denote a small
possibly crude dwelling i.e. one up one down cottage or maybe even a
single room building. We also have more frequently the word 'hole'
Rugg's Hole Strawberry Hole and even believe it or not - a Hole
in the Roadway ( this is how it is named on documents!!!!!) These tend
to be larger dwellings and not at all as primitive.

Query: is hole derived from hovel? or something else? In some of our
older documents c 13-15 centuries one of the estates in Wichenford is
known as Ruggehall but a hall denotes a large spacious upmarket type of
building and I can't believe hole & hall have direct connection.

OED gives Hovel as possibly of LG origin but with no corresponding
words. I bet the Forum knows better!!!

best wishes

Heather
Worcester UKFrom my Skeats Etymological Dictionary (3rd Ed.)

HOVEL: a small hut, *hovylle*, a small house, *hovyl* for swine, or other *
beestys*; from *hufe*, a hood.  German *haube*, a hood.  See *hive*

Sid in Maryland
[Sam Claire]

----------

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong Dutchmatters at comcast.net

Dear Heather,

You ask about ‘hovel’. There is a Dutch word ‘heuvel’ which means hill.
Maybe part of the old dwellings in your neck of the woods was partially
built into the hillside? I do not know about the etymology of ‘hole’ and
can’t look it up at the moment, because the interior of my house is being
worked on and all my books are in boxes under an enormous blue tarp on my
deck……
Jacqueline

----------

 From: Pat Reynolds pat at caerlas.co.uk

Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2011.07.31 (03) [EN]

Piet wrote

“

A 'hovel' - in my opinion - has etymologically nothing to do with 'hole'
(Deutsch: höhle). Your 'hole' comes from 'heul' with could be a bow (builded
bridge) of stones/rocks. A hole in Dutch: hol(te), gat (in de grond); think
of playing golf: hole in one. Also the name Holland (The Netherlands; Pays
Bas: Laag Land, Low Land) could possible come from your 'hole': aflopend
land. But beware: een 'hol' kan ook een hoogte betreffen!

The origin of 'hall' is a covered building of stones/rocks (old-LS: halla)”

There is an 10th century charter which has “þonne on þæne hullan crundel”
“and thence to the ‘hullan’ chalk pit/quarry” (
http://www.esawyer.org.uk/charter/865.html).  Both ‘hullan crundel’ and
‘hullan fortey’ seem to call for a meaning that describes the ‘crundel or
‘fortey’ in some way. It could be a weak dative singular noun.
Unfortunately, I don’t have access to my dictionaries, to check genders and
strength (or indeed meanings) of the candidates.

Best wishes to all,

Pat

----------

From: Hannelore Hinz <hannehinz at t-online.de

Hallo Piet un Healter un Lowlanners,

un nu kam ick.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altstadt_(Schwerin)

In de Oltstadt bün ick upwussen.

Bild: Reste der Stadtmauer. Dat is de Burgstraat. Dor hebben wi Kinner ümmer
"Räuber un Soldat" spält. Un gliek rechter Hand üm de Eck, wier un is noch
ümmer  de "Grünestraße/Grüne Straße, Gräun Straat), un von disse Straat
kümmt man up den'n "Großer Moor", wi hebben ümmer "Groten Muur" seggt. Un
von de Burgstraat kümmst ok up den'n Groten Muur.

*Burgstraße*: 1880. Eine Burg hat hier nicht gestanden, wohl aber finden
sich Reste der Stadtmauer. 18. Jhdt. *Grabenstraße *(nur oberer Teil, nach
dem ehemaligen Stadtgraben), um 1800 auch *Im Graben, *1819 *(Martius)
Graben- u. Scharfrichterstraße,  *1850 *(Studemund)
Scharfrichterstraße, *(Umbenennung
in Burgstraße auf Wunsch der Anwohner)

*Grüne Straße:* seit ?, früher vielleicht die *Christenstraße

**Großer Moor: *1430 erwähnt, traditioneller Straßenname, der auf einen
Flurnamen zurückgeht und auf den moorigen Baugrund hinweist.

Lit.: Die Schweriner Straßennamen - Ihre Herkunft und Bedeutung -
Landeshauptstadt Schwerin, Vermessungs- und Katasterbehörde.

Ick gah giern dörch mien Heimatstraaten.

Hanne

<sassisch at yahoo.com>
listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com