LL-L "Etymology" 2011.08.04 (03) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 4 16:50:57 UTC 2011

 L O W L A N D S - L - 04 August 2011 - Volume 03
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mark and Ruth Dreyer mrdreyer at lantic.net
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2011.08.03 (02) [AF-EN]

 Dear Mark:
Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Your note follows:
    I aught just to point out that the term 'hawe' in 'haweloos' has no
relation to 'hawel' as in 'rondavel' (English 'hovel'). Actually, 'hawe'
means either 'harbour' (where ships dock) or 'haven' (a refuge) depending on
context. Undoubtably, the man in question was thereby identified as one
'with no fixed abode'; a bum or a hobo in American?
    I am however open to persuasion that all these terms reach back to one
Germanic word. Even the English 'haven' & 'harbour' offer promise of
extensive etymological diversion.
    Yrs,
Mark Dreyer

I saw just this morning a story on the Nuus24 website in Afrikaans about the
"hawelose" man who jumped over the fence at the White House. I take that to
mean he was "hovel-less" meaning homeless. If you'd like to see it the
opening paragraph is: Washington – ‘n Hawelose man het ‘n groot oproer by
die Withuis veroorsaak toe hy hier oor ‘n heining gespring het en ‘n
sekerheidsalarm laat afgaan het.

Mark Brooks

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com