LL-L "Idiomatica" 2009.08.21 (01) [DE-EN-NDS-NL]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Sun Aug 21 23:12:24 UTC 2011

 L O W L A N D S - L - 21 August 2011 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mike Morgan mwmbombay at gmail.com
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2009.08.20 (02) [EN]

Okay, while we are talking about attachment, and holding someone in
affection, here is a view form (old) South Asia:

In Sanskrit, non-sexual love is *sneha* (the sexual, as we are all is *kama*,
as in Kama-sutra). *Sneha* has a wide range of "meanings", including not
only *attachment, tenderness, fondness, affection, love* but also:
stickiness, adhesiveness; smoothness; blandness; oil, grease, any fatty
substance; etc

The verb (root: स्निह् snih-) takes a locative argument for the person or
thing that is loved or liked, and also has a range usages: to love, to like,
to be attached to, pleased with, kind to, be sticky, be adhesive, be smooth,
be bland

In otehr words, "I'm stuck on you"... but, the image/feeling I have is that
this is a moist, sticky, even oily kind of attachment...  (maybe influenced
by the high humidity and mositure levels of rainy season, which we are right
now in the midst of)

ALSO:

Intriguingly, the causative can mean not only to cause to love (as expected)
but also to dissolve, destroy, kill.
Modern Hindi *pyār* love (in the romantic but not sexual sense) comes from *
priyakāra* literally "doing a kindness".
Nepali *māyā* (which Turner defines as sexual love, but which clearly in
MODERN Nepali is just romantic love) is also the word for "illusion, fraud,
deceit" (as in the Buddhist concept that all the wrold is *māyā*

VS Apte's Practical Sanskrit-English DIctionary accessible at:
http://dsal.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philologic/contextualize.pl?p.6.apte.1428893

AA Macdonell's Practical Sanskrit Dictionary accessible at:
http://dsal.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/romadict.pl?table=macdonell&page=182&display=simple

RL Turner's Comparative Dictionary of the Indo-Aryan Languages accessible
at:
http://dsal.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philologic/getobject.pl?c.3:1:501.soas

mwm || *U* C > || mike || мика  || माईक || マイク || மாய்க் (aka Dr Michael W
Morgan)
Senior Consultant
BA in Applied Sign Language Studies (BAASLS)
इन्दिरा गांधी राष्ट्रीय मुक्त विश्वविद्यालय | Indira Gandhi National Open
University, New Delhi, India
*"If one has no affection for a person or a system, one should feel free to
give the fullest expression to his disaffection so long as he does not
contemplate, promote, or incite violence." (MKG)
"You assist an unjust administration most effectively by obeying its orders
and decrees. An evil administration never deserves such allegiance.
Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil.* *A good person will resist an
evil system with his whole soul. Disobedience of the laws of an evil state
is therefore a duty." (MKG)*