LL-L "Language varieties" 2011.12.15 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 15 20:22:29 UTC 2011

 L O W L A N D S - L - 15 December 2011 - Volume 07
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Tomás Ó Cárthaigh tomasocarthaigh at yahoo.com
   Subject: LL-L "Names" 2011.12.14 (06) [EN]

On a distict note prompted by the topic of accents touched on in the postes
below... to an Irish ear their is a sound contiunuum between northern Irish
to Scots, Scots to Northern English (Geordie) to Flemish in particular the
Gent and Antwerp dialects, all have the same singsong quality to them, in
highest form in Scotland and Ireland and lower in Northern England and
Flanders.

Would this date from the Flemish settlements up to the Williamite wars? Or
prehaps does it predate the Celts and the Picts or a hangover from the
origional Belgae?

Just a few passing thoughts in the origions.

Anyone got ideas on acents and their development and spreading in Europe?

I read an article that theres a Norwegian accent akin to the Dublin and
Waterford city accents in Ireland, but details I cant bring to mind. Comes
from the Vikings I gather... Could be a load of tosh, any and all feedback
appreciated...

*"a person with a good book is never alone... a writer until they've
written one is never at peace" *

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com