LL-L 'Etymology' 2010.12.21 (01) [DE-EN-NDS]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 21 23:27:47 UTC 2011

 L O W L A N D S - L - 21 December 2011 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

I ought to have added that Utz mentioned:

P.S. In't Jiddische schall dat ook en Woord "lobus" geven, wat en lüttjet
Monster betekent. Amenn is dat noch af vun´t Latiensche "lupus" = Wulf?

namely that Yiddish is supposed to have *lobus* 'little monster'. I am not
familiar with it. Is any of you? If so, is it confined to Northern Yiddish?

Also, Utz wonders if all of this involves Latin *lupus* 'wolf'.

Happy Solstice and happy Hanukkah!

Reinhard/Ron
Seattle, USA

Thanks for the interesting information, Utz, and sorry I'm switching over
to English in hopes of expanding the informational pool.

Folks, we are talking about the Low Saxon word *Lorbas* [ˈloɐ̯bas]
'good-for-nothing', ' ne'er-do-well', 'scalawag', 'lout', 'ruffian', etc.
Apparently it started off being specific to East Prussian Low Saxon. I am
quite familiar with it and believe it has been spread to some western
dialects.

Above, our Utz reports that Polish has *łobuz* and *łobuziak* with the same
meaning. Kashubian *lorbas*, which he also mentions, seems like a Low Saxon
loan.

[Utz, I used to know some elderly Polish speakers that pronounced *ł* like
English "l" in "all", the standard pronunciation [w] apparently being
relatively recent in Polish, Silesian and Sorbian.]

[Please bear in mind that Kashubian and now extinct Slovincian are Lechitic
Pomeranian West Slavic languages that are closely related to Polish and
Silesian but have been strongly influenced by Low Saxon, and on earlier
strata (substrata?) by Baltic language varieties as well. Please also
remember that we are talking about a region that during the Middle Ages saw
large-scale immigration from the Lowlands (including Low Saxon, Dutch and
Scots).]

Utz also mentions Polish *łobuzie *'undergrowth, 'brushwood', 'weed'.

Instead of **liurbas* (as mentioned by Utz), I know of Lithuanian
*liurbis*in the sense of 'good-for-nothing', ' ne'er-do-well',
'scalawag', 'lout',
'ruffian', etc., also in the sense of 'patsy'. (I don't know if Latvian *
lempis* is related.)

So far I have not been able to find a relevant trace in Old Prussian.

Any  help?

Seattle, USA

----------

From: Mike Morgan mwmbombay at gmail.com
 Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.12.20. (02) [EN-NDS]

Ron/Reinhard and all,

[Utz, I used to know some elderly Polish speakers that pronounced *ł* like
> English "l" in "all", the standard pronunciation [w] apparently being
> relatively recent in Polish, Silesian and Sorbian.]

Such a pronunciation is found in many of the eastern Polish dialects, and
is (or was... I haven't been a Slavicist since just after the Berlin Wall
fell) in fact often been considered "correct" Stage Polish pronunciation.

mwm || *U* C > || mike || мика  || माईक || マイク || மாய்க் (aka Dr Michael W
Morgan)
Senior Consultant
BA in Applied Sign Language Studies (BAASLS)
इन्दिरा गांधी राष्ट्रीय मुक्त विश्वविद्यालय | Indira Gandhi National Open
University, New Delhi, India
*"If one has no affection for a person or a system, one should feel free to
give the fullest expression to his disaffection so long as he does not
contemplate, promote, or incite violence." (MKG)
"You assist an unjust administration most effectively by obeying its orders
and decrees. An evil administration never deserves such allegiance.
Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil.* *A good person will resist
an evil system with his whole soul. Disobedience of the laws of an evil
state is therefore a duty." (MKG)*

----------

From: Hannelore Hinz <hannehinz at t-online.de> <hannehinz at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.12.18 (01) [DE-NDS]

Hallo Ron, Utz un Lowlanners,

*Wi willn den'n Kater woll lusen *die Sache wohl deichseln

DUDEN 7 Etymologie der deutschen Sprache:
*Lausbub *(16. Jh.) scherzhaft für "ungezogener Junge" *(oberd., *besonders
seit Ludwig Thoma bekannt.)
Lausbub s. auch Bube.
*Bube *"gemeiner, verächtlicher Mensch". *Mhd. *buobe "Knabe, Diener;
zuchtloser Mensch", dem *mnd. *bōve "gewalttätiger Mensch, Spitzbube,
Räuber" und *niederl. *boef "Schelm, [Spitz]bube" entsprechen, stammt
wahrscheinlich aus der Lallsprache der Kinder wie z.B. auch *eng. *baby
"Säugling, Kleinkind" und *schwed. mdal. *babbe"kleiner Junge (*Buhle*). *Die
heutige abwertende schriftsprachliche Bedeutung ist besonders durch die
'bösen Buben' der Lutherschen Bibel gefestigt worden. Dagegen bewahrt die
gekürzte *oberd. *Form *Bub **südd., schweiz., österr. *für "Junge, Knabe"
noch die ursprüngliche Bedeutung, beachte die Bedeutungsparallele *aengl.
*cnafa "Knabe" - *engl. *knave "Schurke". Abl.: *Büberei *"gemeine,
verächtliche
Tat" *(mhd.* buoberīe); *bübisch *"gemein, verächtlich, schurkisch" (*spätmhd.
*büebisch); *Bubi **(oberd. *Koseform, meist als Name), dazu *Bubikopf *"kurze
weibliche Haartracht" (20.Jh.). Zus.: *Lausbub *s. oben.

* Buhle (veraltet für:)  "Geliebter" : Das Wort (*mhd.* buole, *mnd. *bōle)
stammt aus der Lallsprache der Kinder.

*Syn*. : Frechdachs, Frechling, Lausejunge, Lausebengel, Bengel, Schlingel,
Lausbube (*süddt) *+ Jüngelchen, Schelm , *umg: *Rabe, Räbchen, Racker,
Strick, Himmelhund, Lausekerl, freches Stück, *sa**lopp: *Luder, Rübe, *
derb:* Rotzjunge, freche Schnauze *auch *Range, Flegel. - Nu langt mi dat.

*lusen *glimmen: *dat lus't un lus't *(1931)

Als Ausdruck des Schreckens *Ick denk, mi lus't dei Ap*.

Best Gräuten.

Hanne

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com