LL-L 'Traditions' 2010.12.22 (02) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 22 19:18:48 UTC 2011

 L O W L A N D S - L - 22 December 2011 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Brooks, Mark mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us
  Subject: LL-L 'Traditions 2010.12.21 (02) [EN]

Roger asked: “Does somebody know where this tradition is coming from?”

Well, it could be folk etymology, but I heard that it comes from the
Tlingit tribe in the Pacific Northwest coast of Canada and the USA. You can
read about the tradition at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potlatch. We took
a tour in the Ketchikan, Alaska area and that’s what we heard. Like I said,
it could be a tour-guide’s explanation.

Mark Brooks

From: Mike Morgan mwmbombay at gmail.com

Unfortunately, potlucks are NOT what they used to be... although they are
still a big part of such events like family reunions.

Nowadays family reunion potlucks (at least in SW Virginia) seem to have as
many (or more) people contributing KFC chicken and Popeyes sausage or ham
biscuits as making a traditional/home-made dish to share.

the decline and fall of civilization...

mwm

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com