LL-L 'Etymology' 2010.12.30 (02) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 30 19:55:24 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 30 December 2011 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Heiko Evermann heiko.evermann at googlemail.com
Subject: Metathesis

> En ook dit nog beste laaglanders,
> Volksetymologisch komt Sprokkel met metathesis uit sporkel, met de
gedachte aan het sprokkelen van hout.
> Etymologisch dit:
> Uit het Latijn "spurcus" = smerig, vuil.
> Sprokkel ui SPURCALIA , een heidens feest van lichaamsreiniging, waar de
katholieke kerk erg tegen was.
> And here is my translation:
Speaking of metathesis,
I have noticed that metathesis still occurs spontaneously today. Juat
yesterday I heard my 5 year old daughter to change Benjamin into Bemmajin.
And when our oldest was in kindergarten she changed Jennifer into
Gennishwa. One more, very common example is the ice cream flavour
stracciatella which shoud be pronounced like s-tratshiatella, but the
common pronunciation that I hear around Hamburg is shtratsiatella.

Therefore I am not su much surprised to find metathesis quite freaquently
when words were borrowed from one language into another.

Greetings from Heiko Evermann
Ellerau (no longer Hamburg)

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Hi, Heiko!

Congratulations on the move!

Actually, the Italian pronunciation of* ** stracciatella *is something like
"s-trat-cha-TEL-la." The "i" is an orthographic device, is not pronounced.

Guten Rutsch!
Reinhard/Ron
Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com