LL-L "Etymology" 2011.01.01 (02) [EN]

Sun Jan 2 01:14:41 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 01 January 2011 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: "Peter Snepvangers" <snepvangers at optushome.com.au>

Subject: Etymology

Hello Lowlanders,

I was recently asked about the origin and widespread usage of the words
chuse and chuses (choose and chooses).

A few online dictionaries refer to the words as archaic or obsolete English.

The Lowlands archives show reference to the words used in Scots as follows:

R.Hahn...I wonder how to label the language variety. It seems to be 17th
century English but also has a lot of Scots in it. "17th century Scottish
English"? Or is it "cleaned up" Scots?

* *

*"Lady Anne Bothwell's Lament",*

Balow, my babe, ly stil and sleipe!

I cannae chuse, but ever will
Be luving to thy father stil:
Whaireir he gae, whaireir he ryde,
My luve with him maun stil abyde:
In weil or wae, whaireir he gae,
Mine hart can neir depart him frae.
   Balow,  . . .

There is also a reference to:

*"The Bonny Lass o Anglesey": by Burns*

Fifteen ploughs but and a mill,

I'll gie thee till the day thou die;

And the fairest knight in a' my court,

To chuse thy husband for to be.

There are also examples in the US constitution,

and examples such as Lady Susan by Jane Austen,

I should not chuse to have the business brought on here, and canvassed by
the wise heads of Mr.

as well as Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Dashwood, who did not chuse to dine with them oftener than they dined at the
cottage, absolutely refused on her own account; her daughters might do as
they pleased.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge in The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, He cannot chuse
but hear.

John Milton in Paradise Lost, on hospitable thoughts intent What choice to *
chuse* for delicacie best,

My understanding is that choice came into middle English from old French.
Choose is from chosen from old English ceosan but I cannot find any
reference to how chuse came about. There are a lot more references to the
usage but etymology.

Your guidance here would be appreciated.

Best regards

Peter Snepvangers

Sydney Australia

snepvangers at optushome.com.au