LL-L "Etymology" 2011.01.02 (01) [EN]

Sun Jan 2 20:19:08 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 02 January 2011 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>

Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2011.01.01 (02) [EN]

Beste Peter:

Onderwerp: LL-L Etymology

You mention a question about the origin and widespread usage of the words
chuse and chuses (choose and chooses).

I take it you are referring to the English word(s), since across the Channel
there are cognates very similar in looks & usage. In Afrikaans the word is
'Kies',

Certainly the use of 'u' rather than 'o' in both choose & chooses should
rather be identified as merely another idiosyncracy of Modern English
orthography predating its standardisation in, from & following from Dr
Samuel Johnson's Dictionary. Of course between then & now there have always
been a few influential people with spelling as robustly independant as their
speech. Take for example G B Shaw..

As I read it however, in Anglo Saxon & the southern dialects of the British
Isles, the 'c' of a word was all too frequently pronounced 'ch' as we do in
Modern English.

For example:

ceap - cheap (purchase). Afr koop

cempa - champion. Afr kampion

ceorl - churl (peasant) Afr cognate kêrel

cild - child. Afr kind

cyle - chill. Afr kille (verb)

(th)aec - thatch. Afr dak

waeccan - watch. Afr waak

lic - (extinct usage) lich as in 'lich-gate', grave-yard gate. Afr 'lyk

fersc - fresh. Afr vars

milc - milch (as in milch-cow). Afr melk

Whereas further north in the Anglic dialects ancestral to Modern Scots among
others, the 'k' sound often remained hard.

I will concede, & hope you undersatnd, that this is the offering from a
work-hardened ignoramus.

Groete,

Mark

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com