LL-L "History" 2011.01.02 (05) [EN]

Mon Jan 3 01:38:18 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 02 January 2011 - Volume 05
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Subject: History

Dear Lowlanders,

Please bear in mind that this is not meant to cover heavy-duty academic
discussion but deals with boiled-down representations for popular
consumption.

Also, bear in mind that I am always very skeptical whenever there is talk of
people having “disappeared” or “died out.” I believe that in the majority of
such cases we ought to assume that such people came to be absorbed rather
than were victims of genocide, and remnants of their languages and cultures
in substrata along with their DNA.

I stumbled across a two-part video about the remarkable socio-cultural
changes that were introduced to Europe with the arrival of the
Indo-Europeans:

Indo-Europeans in Northern Europe

(1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PbziD8M-lw
(2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoLxdhOukDI