LL-L "Etymology" 2011.01.02 (06) [EN]

Mon Jan 3 02:40:32 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 02 January 2011 - Volume 06
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: M.-L. Lessing <marless at gmx.de>

Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2011.01.02 (01) [EN]

Hello Mark,

I am an etymological ignoramus too, but your comparisons suddenly reminded
me of an old, nearly extinct German verb "kiesen", which means exactly "to
choose". And as we ignorami rely strongly on instinct when doing etymology,
I am now quite triumphantly sure these words are related. Have you any clues
to this in Afrikaans?

Hartlich!

Marlou

Mark wrote:

As I read it however, in Anglo Saxon & the southern dialects of the British
Isles, the 'c' of a word was all too frequently pronounced 'ch' as we do in
Modern English.

For example:

ceap - cheap (purchase). Afr koop

cempa - champion. Afr kampion

ceorl - churl (peasant) Afr cognate kêrel

cild - child. Afr kind

cyle - chill. Afr kille (verb)

(th)aec - thatch. Afr dak

waeccan - watch. Afr waak

lic - (extinct usage) lich as in 'lich-gate', grave-yard gate. Afr 'lyk

fersc - fresh. Afr vars

milc - milch (as in milch-cow). Afr melk

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Subject: Etymology

Dear Lowlanders,

Please remember the Old Germanic alternation between *-z* and *-r*, such as
in **waz-* (“was” etc.) and **war-* (“were” etc.)

I believe that this is going on here too. Irrespective of spelling, Old
English *céos-* (choose) would have been pronounced [ʧyːz] of perhaps
*[ʧøːz], thus going back to *[kyːz] of perhaps *[køːz]. Modern “choose”
[ʧʰuːz], too, has an underlying /z/), as does Archaic German
*kies-*([kʰiːz]) Marlou mentions above.

And then there are what seem to be *-r* variants, such as Low Saxon *kọ̈ọ̈r-
* [kʰøːɐ̯] ~ [kʰœːɐ̯] ‘choose’, *Kọ̈ọ̈r-* [kʰøːɐ̯] ~ [kʰœːɐ̯] ‘choice’,
German *Kür* [kʰyːɐ̯] ‘freestyle (in figure skating)’, and archaic (mostly
biblical) forms such as *kür-* ‘choose’ and *(aus)erkoren* ‘chosen’.

Proto-Germanic: **kuza* ‘choice’, ‘examination’, **kauzj-* ~
**kuz-*‘choose’, ‘examine’
Old German: *(ge)kiosan* ‘to choose’, *korōn* ‘to choose’
Old Saxon: *(gi)kiosan* ‘to choose’
Old Frisian: *ziāsa* ‘to choose’, *kere* ‘choice’
Old English: *céosan* ‘to choose’, *coren* ‘chosen’, *cyrelīf* ‘being chosen
(by an aristocrat)’
Old Norse: *kjosa* ‘to choose’, *kjọr* ~ *kjẹr* ‘choice’
Gothic: *(ga)kiusan* ‘to choose’

By the way, with a *-t* suffix this group created Words such as German *
kosten* ‘to taste’, ‘to try (food)’, and *Kost* ‘fare (=food)’.

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>