LL-L "Tradition" 2011.01.03 (02) [EN]

Mon Jan 3 18:37:04 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 03 January 2011 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming <fleemin at live.co.uk>

Subject: LL-L "Tradition" 2011.01.02 (04) [EN]

> From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>

> Subject: LL-L "Tradition" 2011.01.02 (02) [EN-NL]

> - *Eastern*: with focus on boiled eggs (preferrably painted brown by
boiling with onion skins,

> except for some figures in white, drafted with wax on the shell of the egg
before boiling).

> The onion skins also gave a special taste to the hard boiled eggs. It was
standard to give a pair of eggs.

This reminds me of the practice at Easter in Scotland of drawing on eggs
with candle wax (just taking a candle and drawing on it with the edge of the
bottom of the candle) and then boiling the eggs in water coloured with food
dye. This way you got a variety of coloured eggs with white markings.

The theory was that we then rolled them down a hill to get them to break and
then we ate them, but in practice finding a decent hill was too much hassle
and we just rolled them down the stairs in the house.

One year me and a friend decided to do it properly, so we walked about a
mile out of the village to a likely-looking slope and discovered that it was
hard to find a bit of slope that a boiled egg would roll any distance down,
and when we did, it wouldn't break. In the end we just threw them down the
hill and they were in no fit state to eat after that.

I guess that for many years people had been "talking the talk" of this
tradition without stopping to think if "walking the walk" was even possible!

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>