LL-L "Etymology" 2011.01.03 (03) [EN]

Mon Jan 3 21:33:26 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 03 January 2011 - Volume 03
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>

Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2011.01.02 (06) [EN]

Dear Marlou:

Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2011.01.02 (01) [EN]

On thinking it over I should rather have left the answer in the 'choose /
choosing' string to Ron, but since he responded anyway I can relax, sit back
& say 'Me too."

But while I'm about it let me cite my *other* authority, Boshoff en Nienaber
'Afrikaanse Etimologeë'. for the entry:

'Kies' (2) werkwoord, uitsoek, om voorkeur te gee aan; Nederlands *kiezen*,
English *choose*, Goties *kiusan*, hou verb. m. Latyns *gustus*, "proef,
smaak", Grieks *geuo*, ek laat proe, *geuomai*, "ek proe" etc.

They make further reference, as Ron does, to a simile 'keur' by which in
Afrikaans we also mean to choose or select, or referring something
that *is*'select'. Then there is eg 'Die Uitgekorene', 'The Chosen
One/s'. I do not
know the processes that brought two different words so close in sound &
meaning, or if they started the same, how they diverged without differing in
meaning.

However there are many such. & is an ancient Teutonic rhetorical gambit to
use them together in a stock phrase, Afr 'kies en keur', Eng 'pick &
choose'.

As Ron noted:

And then there are what seem to be *-r* variants, such as Low Saxon *kọ̈ọ̈r-
* [kʰøːɐ̯] ~ [kʰœːɐ̯] ‘choose’, *Kọ̈ọ̈r-* [kʰøːɐ̯] ~ [kʰœːɐ̯] ‘choice’,
German *Kür* [kʰyːɐ̯] ‘freestyle (in figure skating)’, and archaic (mostly
biblical) forms such as *kür-* ‘choose’ and *(aus)erkoren* ‘chosen’.

Proto-Germanic: **kuza* ‘choice’, ‘examination’, **kauzj-* ~
**kuz-*‘choose’, ‘examine’
Old German: *(ge)kiosan* ‘to choose’, *korōn* ‘to choose’
Old Saxon: *(gi)kiosan* ‘to choose’
Old Frisian: *ziāsa* ‘to choose’, *kere* ‘choice’
Old English: *céosan* ‘to choose’, *coren* ‘chosen’, *cyrelīf* ‘being chosen
(by an aristocrat)’
Old Norse: *kjosa* ‘to choose’, *kjọr* ~ *kjẹr* ‘choice’
Gothic: *(ga)kiusan* ‘to choose’

By the way, with a *-t* suffix this group created Words such as German *
kosten* ‘to taste’, ‘to try (food)’, and *Kost* ‘fare (=food)’.

Thanks Ron. Btw, out of Pretoria Jo'burg way there is or was a highly
respected German restuarant trading under the sign 'Feinkost'. Yum!

Yrs,

Mark

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>