LL-L "Travels" 2011.01.12 (01) [EN]

Wed Jan 12 20:48:53 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 12 January 2011 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L Language varieties

Tuesday I had lunch in an small restaurant in Edison NJ., called "Harold's
New York".

It is in the Holiday Inn Hotel building at the crossing of the motorways.

On the napkin one finds some instructions:

"How to speak Deli"

CHUTZPAH: NERVE. "It takes a lot of chutzpah to think you can finish a
sandwich at Harold's".

EMMESS: THE TRUTH: "We serve the best food anywhere, that is the emmess."

FORSHPEIS: (also NOSH) AN APPETIZER. "Try some kasha varnishkas as
forshpeis"

FRESSER: A BIG EATER: "A fresser never takes a doggie-bag home from
Harold's"

MACHER: A BIG SHOT: "At Harold's everyone is a macher."

MESHPUCHAH: FAMILY. "Bring your whole mespuchah to Harold's for a great
meal."

MESHUGENNAH: CRAZY. "If you don't love Harold's food, you are meshugennah."

NEBBISH: A NERD. Even a nebbish loves to eat at Harold's."

SCHLEMIEL: see Nebbish

SCHLEPP: TO CARRY OR HAUL. "Schlepp home a sandwich from Harold's for your
meshpuchah."

SCHMATAH: RAG. "Ik you spill your Dr. Brown's we'll whipe it up with a
schmatah."

SCMUTZ; DIRT. "You won't find any schmutz at Harold's."

SCHTARKER.: A STRONG PERSON. "To schlepp home a Harold's sandwich, you have
to be a schtarker."

SCHTICKLUCH. HABIT. "Eating at Harold's will become a schtichluch."

SPILKAS: ANTS-IN-THE-PANTS: "When you wait for a take-out order at Harold's
you never get spilkas."

PUNAM: FACE. "When you eat at Harold's you'll have a happy punam."

MACHATUNIM: YOUR CHILDREN'S IN-LAWS. (OR, THE ENNEMY). "You will even have a
good time with your machatunim at Harold's".

One finds more "deli" vocabulary on the menu. It is accessible on their
website: http://www.haroldsfamousdeli.com/

They have no salad bar but the largest "pickle bar of the world" with a
variety of cucumbers etc.

The food is fast-food type. You hardly open your napkin for starting to read
the vocabulary instruction, or your plate is already on your table.

I returned through Pennsylvania with an intention to have a stop at the
"King of Prussia Mall" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_of_Prussia_Mall),
but, since it started snowing, I didn't stop and continued my way to
Northern Wilmington.

The events I had registered for today have been canceled because of the
snow. When looking to our paking lot, I see all cars are packed all sides
and roof with a cover of 1" to 2" of snow. It stopped snowing though and I
will probably go downtown Wilmington when the roads are less slippery later
today. After all it is not that bad, we have had more of that in Europe, but
the TV stations over here are screwing up the "winter storm".

Regards,

Roger