LL-L "Etymology" 2011.01.27 (01) [EN]

Thu Jan 27 18:56:41 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 27 January 2011 - Volume 05
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mark and Ruth Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2011.01.26 (02) [EN-NL]

Beste Luc:

Onderwerp: LL-L etymologie

You wrote:

Last summer I was passing the village of 'Lauwe" by boat. On the wall of a
factory there was written 'kloddenhandel'.

And:

My first thaughts were that it had something to do with 'cloths'. But when i
looked it up on the internet (INL) there was no mention of any connection
with the Enghlish word.

I am sure your intuition was correct. Afrikaans says for 'articles of
clothing' - 'kledingstukke'. (Verklarende Afrikaanse Woordeboek -
Kritzinger, Labuschagne en Nienaber) "Kleed, klede; kledingstuk, veral die
buitenste rok, kleredrag. Ook: Tapyt; behangsel van wol of katoenstof; doek.

It is not a rare word or construction. the dictionary rings the changes
through twelve entries from 'kleed' = to dress through 'kleedhokkie' =
changing-room to 'kledy' = clothes, clothing, manner of dress, style.

Groete,

Mark

----------

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2011.01.26 (04) [EN]

I've read that the saying actually doesn't mean "till the end of May"; it
refers to the Hawthorn, also known as the May tree. It has a profusion of
white blossoms, and that's what the saying refers to - when the May blooms
are out. That is a rather earlier time, anywhere from mid April to early
May, so rather more practical advice.

Paul

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>