LL-L "Names" 2011.07.01 (02) [DE-EN]

Fri Jul 1 16:38:32 UTC 2011

 L O W L A N D S - L - 01 July 2011 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. roger.thijs at euro-support.be

Subject: LL-L "Names" 2011.06.30 (03) [EN]

> From: M.-L. Lessing marless at gmx.de
> Subject: LL-L "Names" 2011.06.30 (02) [EN-NL]
> ??? In Germany as ü? This surprises me. "Thies" is a very common family
name in northern germany. I would have pronounced "Thijes" somewhat like it.
Am I very wrong?

I lived some time in Essen-Heissingen and there people pronounced "Tüs" for
Thys/Thijs.
I guess it is by analogy to Thyssen, better known in that area.

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Names
> I have come across the surname Thyssen

The industrial Thyssen have their roots in Aachen,
cf. http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thyssen_(Unternehmerfamilie)
August Thyssen studied at the commercial high school in Antwerp
cf. http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_Thyssen

Regards,
Roger

----------

From: list at marcusbuck.org

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
 Subject: Names

 Roger, Lowlanders,

 I kind of go along with what Marlou writes above, although I would
pronounce
Thies, which is also spelled Thieß in Germany, [tʰiːs].

I have never encountered the spelling Thys in Germany. If it *is* used, I
 expect the older pronunciation to have been [tiːs] and more recently (under
Classicistic influence) have become [tʰyːs].

I have come across the surname Thyssen ("son of Thys") several times and it
 was pronounced [ˈtʰyːsən] or [ˈtʰʏsən]. Originally it must have been
*[ˈtʰiːsə(n)]. (It's related to English Matthews, Danish Madsen, Swedish
 Mattson, etc.)

 Middle Saxon and Early Modern Low Saxon have Matties [ˈmatis] and Mattis
 [ˈmatɪs] for Matthew (< Latin *Matthæus, Matthias* < Greek Ματθαῖος *
Matthaɪ̃os* < Hebrew מתתיהו *Matiθyahu*). As far as I know, this did not
 come to be reduced to the second syllable since stress is on the first
syllable.

You can map first names in Germany at <http://www.gen-evolu.de/>. "Thies" is
solely common in Schleswig-Holstein and a narrow stripe of bordering
northeastern Lower Saxony.

I don't know exactly about Middle Saxon, but the modern name "Matthias" is
stressed on the second syllable and I don't see why this shouldn't have been
the case with the precursor of the "Thies" variant.

Closely related is the name "Theis" which also occurs in the north of
Germany and goes back to "Tewes" and (at least that's what I think)
"Matthäus".

It did come to be reduced to Matt, however, and in extension to
familiar Matten (as in "Matten Has'" - http:/lowlands-l.net/groth/matten.php

I'm pretty sure that "Matten Has'" is from "Martin" not "Matthew".

Marcus Buck

From: Hannelore Hinz <hannehinz at t-online.de>

Beste Frünn',

ick müßt' eins in leege Tieden bi ein' Grotbuern in Schwerin-Warnitz Hufe 1
deinen un de hett heiten :
 Ehlers-Thiessen. Thiessen hebben wi ümmer mit ein langet i snackt.

Hartlich.

Hanne

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com